Lost Trail Powder Mountain, MT, 07MAR04

Jay Silveira

Sunday was “the day after” the storm, with almost 30 inches of new snow waiting to be tracked up in Hollywood Bowl and the surrounding steeps. I didn’t rush out, figuring it would take them a bit of time to open up the steep terrain anyway. From what I heard, they opened it sometime between 10 and 11 A.M., which worked out well for my arrival. On my way over through the Chair 3 area, I checked out the woods between Side Street and Main Street, and found that the snow had consolidated substantially since Saturday. The slope I hit, which topped out at maybe 25-30 degrees, wouldn’t even have been skiable the day before. Now it was a nice unbroken surface of powder, although it was no longer the kind of snow that left you gasping for air as it cascaded over your head. <BR> <BR>For my first run off Chair 4, I went right over to Hollywood Bowl. It was getting pretty tracked at this point, but there was still untouched powder to the skier’s right. There were a couple of airs I wanted to hit here, as long as conditions were right. The previous night, I’d worked out some of the technical difficulties with the 8 mm (36-degree field of view) lens for my head cam, so I fired it up. It was a pretty flat light day, but at least it would suffice for working out the positioning of the lens. I was interested in combining a couple of the airs into a smooth run, but the snow wasn’t going to allow it. The powder was settled enough that I had way too much speed coming off the first air and had to abort the second. Thus, I’d have to wait and tackle that challenge another day. <BR> <BR>Lower in the bowl, I cut a traverse hard left into the trees to check out the snow near the Hollywood Chutes. I dropped in earlier than the chutes, but found some awesome steep lines. Skiing the steep lines wasn’t deep powder skiing; it was more like riding on top of the snow the way it looks in those big Alaskan descents. It certainly felt big when I came rocketing into the bowl below the chutes at full speed. I continued on into the woods below, where the snow wasn’t as touched by the sun, and the powder got lighter and deeper. I know the snow was deep there, because I came through the trees and blasted off a huge log at full speed, a shot that had required more careful planning the week before when the guys were out for our annual ski trip. <BR> <BR>For my next couple of runs, I followed my same route through the bowl, but varied the steeps I hit after the traverse. For run two, I came in right above the Hollywood Chutes, but found the area loaded with hidden rocks below the new snow. This caused me to take a line a bit more to the right, although I was able to finish off by shooting the rocky gap at the bottom of one of the chutes. Since this area had been rocky, I headed past the chutes and into the trees for my third run. I’d seen a couple of tracks up there in what looked like good snow, and it was, except for the fact that it was getting heavier every run as the temperature rose. I was glad I’d gotten to ski the runs when I did because now the snow was transforming from settled powder into wet snow, which became less fun to ski. By the time I called it a day, it had risen to 32 F at the main base (7,000’) and when I got back to town it was almost 50 degrees. All in all though, it was another great day on he hill. <BR> <BR>J.Spin

Back