Alta, UT 1/26/09

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 29: Wow!

With a 35-inch storm total, I have no word but "Wow!" The last day/night of the storm was the cold-and-dry that we powder princesses are accustomed to around here, topping up the denser weekend snow underneath. I decided at the last minute to cash in a vacation day and join Sharon, Pam and Skidog at Alta.

With snow falling throughout the weekend, the locals didn't show up in their usual hordes, either. About every 5th or 6th chair on Wildcat had a body in it for the first hour, although the folks stacked up three minutes deep for Collins eventually figured it out. By that time, though, we were ready to move on.

Where to? Greeley Hill. The young guns typically overlook those lines, and they did today, too. Untracked so good that we had to go back and do it again.

By this point Supreme had opened, so we headed out to Catherine's. Two Catherine's/Patsy Marley laps before lunch, and one after lunch with a couple visiting from Mammoth that we met over lunch (bumped into Tirolerpeter at Alf's, too). Even at 3 pm we were scoring heli-quality untracked runs.

We wrapped up with a run down through North Rustler to finish off the day at 3:45. My legs had nothing left in them -- my mind would issue commands, and my legs would scream, "Screw you!"

I shot nothing but video today, and I doubt that I'll be able to complete the editing tonight. Hopefully Sharon will add some of the stills she took until I can finish up the video.

Best day of the year so far.

I don't have a computer so I cannot upload photos.

what a day. one of the top ranking powder days in my life.

I can go home now. oh wait, 10 more days to go :)

Sharon":23hf7yyy said:
I don't have a computer so I cannot upload photos.

what a day. one of the top ranking powder days in my life.

I can go home now. oh wait, 10 more days to go :)

Oh, man (or woman)! You're killing me! We were booked for this week into a lodge at the Alta base. But last Sunday night I took a slide for life (on M.A.S.H. hardpack). Before I could self-arrest, I hit a tree, completely breaking two ribs. :( It's the first time I've ever hit a solid object skiing (or sliding). So, of course, we're not able to join the fun in the pow!

Dang! (It also hurts when I laugh. )

Jeff

See, now I'm even more happy with my decision to postpone my week out there from last week until the last week in Feb. If I only got a small taste of pow on my last day and then saw you guys getting all this after having a dry week, I'd have lost it. And this way, I figure, it can't be that much drier than last week.....the last week in feb. :)

I'm so jealous of your last few days.

Jeff, get well soon!!

I grabbed Sharon's photos over dinner and she asked me to post these.

01_alta_admin_090126.jpg

02_alta_admin_skidog_090126.jpg

03_alta_pam_090126.jpg

04_alta_pam_090126.jpg

05_alta_breakingtrail_admin_sharon_090126.jpg

06_alta_pam_untracked_090126.jpg

Had to blow around 6" of snow off our driveway and garage apron before I left for Alta this AM. I got up to GMD about 10 AM and scored an empty spot in an otherwise full parking lot about 5 cars in from the GMD end of the lot. I went inside to put in my contacts and immediately ran into a friend with whom I have occasionly made some turns previously this season. We took Collins up and noticed that there was a small crowd gathering at the gate for Ballroom. As we headed toward the gate a patroller opened it and we scooted in with the crowd. That set the tone for the day! Our first drop off the traverse was pure pleasure. The POW was over our knees and light as a feather. Later, as we headed up Supreme I ran into another friend that was out for the day with company from the east coast. Several runs later we took a break at Alf's where I ran into Admin, Pam, and Sharon. After lunch we hiked Catherine's and were again treated to the pleasure of untracked POW. We spent the rest of the day scoring run after run of similarly soft pleasure. While there was some high cloudiness, the sun often peaked out and the excellent light made skiing all that POW very easy. Oh yes, it was a bit on the cold side, but all that POW made the temps irrelevant!

Marc_C":2fo67iw0 said:
Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it? :wink:

ha ha...I tend to skim your posts.. :wink:
M[/quote]
We warned you guys. Keep this up and we're gonna have to put you both in time-out! [-X[/quote]

Oh geez...thats long gone...duh!

M

Skidog":28863vdk said:
Ummm video??????

[skitube2]http://www.firsttracksonline.com/modules/crpVideo/pnmedia/videos/1233119989_2009-01-26_Alta.flv[/skitube2]

Back