Kicking Horse, B.C. Jan. 30, 2009

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Quite a bit better than expected. KHMR has had a modest 118 inches of snow this year, less than half of Mammoth and barely 1/3 of Alta. There had been a few inches in the last couple of days, not enough for powder but definitely enough for mostly pleasing surfaces, no doubt enhanced by the very low skier density. South facing had a somewhat firm subsurface, but at this time of year it's usually too cold for a true melt freeze. Temps were -11C first thing in the morning at the base, rising to -6C by our 1:30 departure to catch the heli to Chatter Creek. The top didn't feel much colder than the base, except when the wind came up midday at the top of the Stairway to Heaven lift.

I took a run down Bowl Over to assess conditions while Ben Solish rented skis. The lower mountain was in decent shape considering the snowfall. The steep part of this first groomer had a fair amount of vegetation showing, but the later 3 runs we did to the base were well groomed and skied nicely. The major coverage issues are dropping into the steep shots off the north sides of CPR or Redemption Ridges. The long chute from the top of Feuz Bowl has a clean entry and just a few avoidable rocks farther down. The sky was mostly clear when we skied this about 10:30AM, though it clouded over by noon. The main bowl on Blue Heaven to go back to the chair is in good shape despite skier traffic and its SE exposure. The traverse under the Stairway chair did have lots of rocks so we didn't bother with that.

The traverse under the gondola was much better, so we did that twice, once dropping through the steep but spaced trees into Bowl Over and the other dropping into a CPR chute (Dorchester?) almost even with the base for the Stairway chair. We lucked out with smooth and consistent snow in that one. Some of those chute have been gouged out due to confined lines at current coverage levels.

Several of you have asked why I've never skied from the other ridgeline running north from the top of Stairway to Heaven. Ben wanted to try it, so that was our last run. You do not have to climb the peak next to the lift. There's a bootpack around the back ascending about as much vertical as the one to High Baldy at Snowbird. It was tough today because of the wind, and I had to put my goggles on for that even though I had gotten by fine with my photogray glasses the rest of the day. This ridge is now marked on the map at Whitewall, and we dropped in basically at the top of the bootpack, probably the area marked Last Chance on the map. Snow was of course much less consolidated and fun skiing, but we still skied deliberately because there are some cliff bands, and with the overcast the light was pretty flat, like the infamous Whitehorn area at Lake Louise.

If you like the steeps, Kicking Horse has them in abundance, and while it would be nice if the place got more snow, what they get holds up quite well, especially midwinter. Current conditions are not the abundance of my 2002 and 2008 visits, but are far superior to the difficult 2005 season. Coverage is well below 2007's, but the day I was there that season it had not snowed for a while and the snow in those steep chutes was firm. So overall today was better than 2 years ago due to softer surfaces. 18,400 total.

Went to Kicking Horse I don't know, maybe 5? years ago. The place still lives on in my mind as a benchmark for lift served, alpine skiing. I can't remember, four or five runs, top to bottom and we were DONE for the day. I was on a ski with 75mm underfoot, a midfat which looked like a fattie at the time. The Volkl G4 was the pow ski of the day! Coverage was good when we were there. The Stairway to Heaven lift hadn't been installed yet; it's really something to look at that face now and see a bumpfield in what had once been pristine sidecountry skiing. Well, I don't know if you could really call it side country. It was a VERY hefty hike up that ridge according to one person in our party who made the climb. Like I said, it's been awhile. I DO remember the very steep chutes on the north side of CPR ridge and the steep chutes on the south side(the ridge DOES run east/west?) Anyway, I'd like to get back there soon, thanks for the post. AC

Acidchrist":27lusirn said:
Went to Kicking Horse I don't know, maybe 5? years ago. The place still lives on in my mind as a benchmark for lift served, alpine skiing. I can't remember, four or five runs, top to bottom and we were DONE for the day. I was on a ski with 75mm underfoot, a midfat which looked like a fattie at the time. The Volkl G4 was the pow ski of the day! Coverage was good when we were there. The Stairway to Heaven lift hadn't been installed yet; it's really something to look at that face now and see a bumpfield in what had once been pristine sidecountry skiing. Well, I don't know if you could really call it side country. It was a VERY hefty hike up that ridge according to one person in our party who made the climb. Like I said, it's been awhile. I DO remember the very steep chutes on the north side of CPR ridge and the steep chutes on the south side(the ridge DOES run east/west?) Anyway, I'd like to get back there soon, thanks for the post. AC

That was more than 5 years ago. 4 runs was all we could do because we had already skied 5 days in a row at Sunshine Village and Lake Louise....and no one was on fat skis. I believe I was skiing on my X-Screams,,,the gold and black ones.

I was there last year when they where having one of their best snow years in a while. Place was amazing and somewhat intimidating, especialy for the former Mrs. Slug who found out the hard way...that its a very steep place. We spent most of the time at Panorama...which is like the Plattekill of BC as in empty. Got first tracks at the top every day!! KH was another world though. Would love to go back there as now I feel I could handle a lot of it much better (losing 22 lbs and getting in 2x the shape can't hurt).......some day.

Must have been a good year if Panorama had good coverage. Kicking Horse is still not too intermediate friendly, with basically one straightforward groomed route from the top of the gondola. Revelstoke is already doing a better job in this regard.

Pics, finally:
IMG_4051.JPG

Top of gondola area viewed from Stairway to Heaven chair.

IMG_4054.JPG

Rocky traverse on Redemption Ridge under Stairway chair.

IMG_4056.jpg

Some skiers in chute reached from Redemption Ridge.

IMG_4055.JPG

Ben finds some soft snow on the direct line into Feuz Bowl.

IMG_4058.JPG

Ben in scattered trees on south side of gondola. This is prime territory in powder.

IMG_4061.jpg

Lower mountain groomers better than expected.

IMG_4062.JPG

Ben in bowl below Dorchester chute on CPR Ridge.

IMG_4067.JPG

View of Feuz Bowl from Last Chance on Whitewall Ridge after the ~10 minute bootpack in the wind.

IMG_4072a.jpg

Farther down we saw a skier launching some big air into Feuz Bowl.

Back