Angel Fire, NM 02/10/09

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
The drive to Angel Fire this morning was pure white knuckle, but we arrived to find a four-inch dusting and no wind -- highly appreciated after our previous day. Our waiter at a restaurant in Taos called AF "a great place to take your girlfriend" and sure enough my wife loved the terrain. Lots of twisty, rolling cruisers -- some football-field wide, some really narrow -- in fact a lot of the blue squares felt like they had been lifted directly from Magic Mountain, VT.

Picture 079a.jpg

Picture 087a.jpg

Picture 070a.jpg

On the back side, there are a few short, steep shots and lots of nicely-spaced, very low-angle trees. Here I am in the "Joe's Road" woods:

The main negative on the front side is probably the longest, flattest runout in North America but if you're into high-speed groomers, AF is a great call. By 11 am, everything was softened to butter.

It's always a bit of culture shock to visit this resort because, in all likelihood, you'll be the only non-Texan. Lots of barely-evers there and several people wearing Elmer Fudd hats. In the restaurants, every single person seemed to be gnawing on Pulled Poke Sandwiches... pretty funny. Still, they're friendly and always ask you "how all y'all doin?"

Last edited:
sounds like you had a good time there. It is always fun to have a cultural experience at a ski area.

Sharon:10sing9z said:
It is always fun to have a cultural experience at a ski area.
Scenes from a mountain-top restaurant. DAP: Dallas-American Princess
Picture076a.jpg

JAP: Jersey-American Princess:
Picture077a.jpg

Last edited:
DAP & JAP your a funny dude...

AF looks like a great place for the wife and kids. Nothing wrong spending the day skiing soft mellow cruisers..

jasoncapecod":1rpcwbyp said:
AF looks like a great place for the wife and kids. Nothing wrong spending the day skiing soft mellow cruisers..

Second place my kid ever skied (first was a day earlier at Santa Fe). Fourth place my wife ever skied. Both enjoyed it at the time.

jamesdeluxe":1udomyg1 said:
Translation: after four years in SLC, they're now to cool to enjoy it anymore.

No. Translation: The Kid would now whine that it isn't steep enough and that the park is too small.

Back