Winter Park, CO 12-13-09

EMSC

After getting the OK to leave the house around 9:30am, I realized just as I got into Boulder that I'd forgotten my Eldora pass. Hmmm, options. 20 min each way back and forth or keep going and use my Intrawest pass at the closest of the 3 resorts? Well, I'm not a particular fan of WP, since I think it has a crappy layout. Confirmed yet again today with killer traverses and flats - I was on my snowboard for the first time this season. I realized that Shubwa and I are opposites. I don a snowboard on occasion up till the skiing is good, and he the reverse. Snow coming in and out and windy up top. But boarding natural terrain with lots of grass and tree stubs to avoid kept me warm. I went straight from ~11:30 when I arrived until ~3pm. Only around 13K of vert, but my calves were wiped out from the lengthy traverses.

I parked at the Mary Jane side for close in parking, and after a couple runs made my way to the Olympia express and Looking Glass where I alternated to shorten the traversing - really it's only 150 yards between the bases of each lift, but my calves were on fire by the time I reached Looking Glass each time. Sounds crazy, I know. But my legs needed the break. I eventually went back to the Mary Jane side having never dropped into the base of Winter Park side where I figured the larges crowds would be. Eventually Taking the Pony Express lift (actually an old double chair) where I was virtually alone for the upper half of the run each time as no one was on that lift. Unfortunately, a crossover was open and more folks were on the lower half.

Lots of scrub to avoid, but at least some natural snow trails open. And not snowing consistently enough to provide more than an inch or two during the day...

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Image00009.jpg

Back