Mt Bachelor: Top open on 1/14/10

schubwa

Today dawned clear and cold. I was on a really short leash at work so I figured to get in a skate ski session at Virginia Meissner Snow Park. So I wasn't at Mt Bachelor, but I was half way there up Century Drive, so I don't feel too much like a poser posting these pictures. We so rarely get to ride the upper mountain at this time of year, so I thought you guys might be interested in seeing what it looked like.

4274835358_388aff1978.jpg

Part of the 360 degrees of above timberline terrain serviced by the Summit Chair.

4274090119_5b9f737510.jpg

You can see why this part of the mountain is closed during bad visibility.

4274090161_0dcaa0b6f7.jpg

Some wind-stiffened new in a bowl just to the east of the Summit Chair. This part of the top usually gets tattered by the wind.

4275083446_4d9542871c.jpg

Bachelor Becky turning her deck just below tree line, probably near the top of Skyliner.

I know you guys aren't into Nordic skiing, but I have to add that the Virginia Meissner Snow Park is now one heck of a great community ski area. Due to the hard work of Tumalo Langlauf Club and their volunteers, the nordic ski and snowshoe (only) area has some fantastic terrain and much improved grooming. And it's only 14 minutes from Bend on the way up to Bachelor. Bachelor has a nordic area, with good and very dependable snow, but it's much too steep for most folks. Meissner has lots of rolling terrain and with the new Bombardier cat this season, it's like the $hit! You can go up there for your lunch break!

Back