Epic Bluebird Mt Bachelor 1/23

schubwa

Yesterday it snowed all day and the top hadn't opened all week except for Thursday at 2, for little more than an hour. What this means is it had snowed consistantly all week and basically no one had ridden back there. We didn't get all that much snow this week but it was cold and the surfaces were excellent during that time.
Robert called and we met at Pine for the opening bell. We went straight for Northwest and got 2" new over groomer all the way down. Just like Beaver Creek. Then we went down a tree lined chute near Devil's Backbone, and there was some soft turns. The sun is out, no wind, and we just know the top will open soon.

4298381878_d0efce432a_m.jpg

I had no charge in the battery, so I borrowed these photos. There was no time to stop and take pics anyways. This was basically the first real clear day this year so far, and a fine powder day to boot. Everyone has tapered pow boards or gigantic reverse skis these days so you have to hurry, no matter what. Rob and I got three super fine shots off the top, almost like heli quality at the ski area. The catch line is now all the way around, so we had a true 360 degree choice.

4298782974_61f5fd9f3a_m.jpg

I even saw Dave Rathbun out talking the line at Summit before it opened. He said one more (avalanche charge) shot and we'll be open in 15 minutes. A minute later it opened. Perfect.

Back