Eldora, CO 1-23-10

EMSC

Well I got out on the hill. Not bad for having a 4 week old. And having to pick up the SUV (some guy had rear ended me back in late Dec during a snowstorm and required a new bumper. Fortunately paid for by his insurance company.)

Anyway after some honey do's at home (and oh yeah did I mention the grandparents helping at home so I could getout?), playing around at the body shop and all I got on the hill by 10am. I had considered going to Copper, but figured that a combination of factors would make that a bad choice. Specifically, that fact that the best stuff has yet to open, plus a continual hype of the local tv media on the 'big' snowstorms (that had left no more than a couple inches total for the entire week in the central mtns, unlike utah or the southern CO mtns). Turns out I was right, I bumped into a guy who was skiing Eldora for the first time ever. Exclusively due to the dead stop in traffic on I-70 at Idaho Springs.

Anyway, it was a chilly with a few flurries and wind (like that's a surprise at Eldora). Frankly much of the snowmaking groomed stuff was rock hard with little to grip (see comment about wind above). Though a few trails and sections of trails were decent. Fortunately for me they had decided to open some of the double diamond steeps for the first time this year. Although only half way down to the traverse through the woods back out to Corona. And to my great surprise the snow, while thin, was much better than I had expected. So while I ended up with many laps on West Ridge and Salto it was perfectly fine for me. Heck After sitting around with no exercise of any kind for a month straight, well I did OK, but not skiing that great and I definitely feel it this morning :lol:

I continue to see differences of the new GM this year, though mostly minor (I figure he's got about zero for a budget for this stuff knowing the owners of Eldora). Oddly every 3rd or 4th chair on Corona lift has a trail map/advert panel on the safety bar (Though actually in the industry they are now 'comfort' bars to limit liability). Also new trail map/tissue box dispensers at the base of all the lifts. A nice touch.

Bumped into many of the race team coaches and parents as expected. Also played around with several new angles for the helmet cam. I figure it'll be slow going to work on a video, but it'll give me something to do to play with it since it might be a couple weeks again before my next ski outing. Once the backside steeps closed, I headed back to the front side for a couple of laps where they continue to make snow (on Challenge trail at the moment). Finished up around 3:30pm with probably only about 18K of vert - yikes I need to get back in shape somehow :lol: .

Image00002.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Back