Snowbird 2/7/10

Powderqueen

We got an early start and were out on the Gadzoom lift just as it started loading at 9.

The snow was definitely stiffer than yesterday. We sampled a number of lines in the Gad Area. Noodled through the woods and dropped into some tight lines. My knee was not feeling so great, but I pushed on.

We found the best snow top to bottom on the ungroomed portion of Regulator Johnson and off the Road to Provo (have no idea what the names of the lines we skied). Did one run in the Peruvian Cirque before lunch which had some really bad visibility and somewhat stiff snow. After lunch we hit Mineral Basin. The snow in and near Bookends was also very good and we did a few laps sampling different lines in MB after lunch. We dropped into Gad Valley again for a few more laps.

I was skiing with Mark from Rochester in the morning. At lunch we met up with former Cornell Ithacans, Missy and Kyle, who have relocated to SLC.

Missy expressed some desire to improve her skiing, so I volunteered to give her some pointers. I told her that first she had to get skis that were more than 70mm under foot and to keep her hands in sight at all times, elbows bent near waist, upper body facing the fall line. Once she got the correct body position, she was able to keep her upper body quiet. She had remarkable improvement, even on the 150cm toothpicks she was skiing on. She said she had been skiing all her life but was never taught good technique. She'll go down anything, but I think I helped her make it a little easier. And with new skis, she'll really be rockin. Anyone have any used fat skis (over 85 under foot) and about 160cm? My friend is small. Chick skis would be best.

We skied until 3:30 and were ready to call it a successful vacation. We didn't get too much deep powder, but we made the best of what we had and had a fabulous time with old and new friends on the mountains of Utah.

I'm now ready to go home to my family and rest.

Back