Return to our Home Page Latest Ski News - Resorts, Events, Equipment, World Cup and more Latest Snow Conditions from Around the World Ski Resort Feature Articles Ski and Snowboard Equipment Feature Articles Our Liftlines user forums A Ski Resort Map Covering All of North America User Downloads Search Our Site Free Ski News Subscriptions via RSS Our huge database of other ski and snowboard websites around the world Contact Us

Western Weather

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in the western US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: Western Weather

Postby yak » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:00 pm

Marc_C wrote:
yak wrote:What are your favorite sites to monitor the 7-10 day weather outlook for CO, UT, and WY?

As has been pointed out in quite a few threads, 7-10 day forecasts are about as reliable and useful as asking your cat.

I'm looking for a good site that shows storms developing over the pacific (for what that is worth)
yak

Location: Marshfield, MA - The Irish Riviera. Avatar: White Grizzly, Meadow Creek BC

Postby socal » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:15 pm

I know there's lots of talk about some snow in the Bay Area but down here in LA we've got some low snow levels look at LOX's discussion:

SNOW LEVELS WILL START OUT AROUND 3500 FEET EARLY FRIDAY BUT RISE
QUICKLY DURING THE DAY AHEAD OF THE FRONT TO 5000 FEET OR HIGHER.
WITH THE FRONTAL PASSAGE FRIDAY EVENING NORTH OF PT CONCEPTION AND
LATE FRIDAY NIGHT OR EARLY SATURDAY ACROSS LA COUNTIES, SNOW LEVELS
WILL BE FALLING RAPIDLY. HOWEVER, WITH THE BULK OF THE MOISTURE
PASSING THROUGH WITH THE FRONT, THERE MAY NOT BE A LOT LEFT TO
GENERATE ACCUMULATING SNOW MUCH BELOW ABOUT 2500 FEET. SHOWER AND
POSSIBLE CONVECTIVE ACTIVITY SATURDAY COULD RESULT IN SNOW FLAKES
REACHING THE SURFACE AS LOW AS 500 FEET
, BUT IT`S UNLIKELY TO
ACCUMULATE AT THAT LEVEL. FOR THIS REASON THE WINTER STORM WATCHES
HAVE BEEN MODIFIED SOMEWHAT. THE BIGGEST ADJUSTMENT WAS TO CANCEL
THE WINTER STORM WATCH FOR THE SANTA MONICA MOUNTAINS. WHILE A
COUPLE OF INCHES ACCUMULATION ARE LIKELY AT THE HIGHER PEAKS AND
WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MAY WELL BE NEEDED SATURDAY,

Here's the point forecast for the top of the run I like to do which is right by my house. Too bad we can't get a couple feet up there, the terrain would actually be great for skiing...
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=34.12892902229116&lon=-118.51346969604492&site=lox&smap=1&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text
socal

Postby snowave » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:30 pm

26" new here at Big Pines across from Mt. High West, at 7k ft...... Still dumping right now!

p.s. and it's light stuff, too. (sucks to be at work) :-(

Sno..
snowave

Postby Tony Crocker » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:50 pm

Andrew reported sleet with slush residue on the ground in downtown Burbank when he went to the movies Saturday night. :shock:
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,318K in 2010-11
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby socal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:36 pm

I know its just about April but I could definitely do without the 9k ft snow levels this weekend when the precipitation comes to in, just saying. Staying up at Solitude this weekend so hoping they err'd on the high side and that the timing of the cold front comes in a little early rather than later like they're forecasting now.

On a completly weather unrelated note, I should have a cool picture to share on Saturday night too (hint it involves a woman, a ring , and the top of a mountain :-$ ).
socal

Postby Admin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:22 pm

\:D/ Good luck!!! Of course you'll hear "yes."

(I'll spare you my institutional comments about marriage. :-$ )

If the current forecast bears out, we'll get some rain below 9,000 feet initially in Utah, but the snowfall should more than bury any damage.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby socal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:26 pm

Admin wrote:\:D/ Good luck!!! Of course you'll hear "yes."

Thanks.

Admin wrote:If the current forecast bears out, we'll get some rain below 9,000 feet initially in Utah, but the snowfall should more than bury any damage.

Will it be enough to bury the refrozen snow after the warm up this week? NWS thinks about an inch of water so I'm thinking it might be; just depends on the timing of the cold front I guess.
socal

Postby Admin » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:30 pm

socal wrote:Will it be enough to bury the refrozen snow after the warm up this week? NWS thinks about an inch of water so I'm thinking it might be; just depends on the timing of the cold front I guess.

I'm expecting a legitimate powder day on Sunday. Should worse come to worst on Sunday you could just sleep in a bit. :wink:

Admin
Site Admin

Postby socal » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:36 pm

Admin wrote:
socal wrote:Will it be enough to bury the refrozen snow after the warm up this week? NWS thinks about an inch of water so I'm thinking it might be; just depends on the timing of the cold front I guess.

I'm expecting a legitimate powder day on Sunday. Should worse come to worst on Sunday you could just sleep in a bit. :wink:

I appreciate the optimism.
socal

Postby Marc_C » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:19 am

An interesting comment on current conditions from today's avi bulletin for the Wasatch:
As far as turning conditions, my mother always taught me that if I didn't have anything good to say about someone, don't say anything at all. So I shall remanin silent about the heinous, breakable rime crust above 10,000' and the lurch-and-jerk glop and roller balls on all the other slopes. Snowmobiles are probably the vehicle of choice today.

And here's the Alta 8500' weekend forecast:

Today: Sunny, with a high near 51. Southwest wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Tonight: Partly cloudy, with a temperature falling to near 34 by 9pm, then rising to around 50 during the remainder of the night. South southwest wind between 7 and 11 mph.

Saturday: Snow showers likely after noon. Some thunder is also possible. Cloudy, with a high near 52. Windy, with a south southwest wind 10 to 13 mph increasing to between 27 and 30 mph. Winds could gust as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Saturday Night: Snow. Some thunder is also possible. Low around 15. Wind chill values as low as -2. Breezy, with a west southwest wind between 22 and 25 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

Sunday: Snow. High near 23.
West wind between 10 and 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

With the tropical temps today and tomorrow, with a minor refreeze if any tonight, followed by a plummet in temps Sat night/Sun, maybe we don't want that potential foot to be too light. We're gonna need a cushion.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby socal » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:51 pm

After a little rain/sleet it's snowing hard in the village at Solitude at about 9pm. Hopefully this keeps up.
socal

Postby Marc_C » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:56 pm

socal wrote:After a little rain/sleet it's snowing hard in the village at Solitude at about 9pm. Hopefully this keeps up.

Unfortunately this morning's Alta forecast that called for 10"-16" overnight went to 4"-8" at 5pm.
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Admin » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:32 am

Marc_C wrote:
socal wrote:After a little rain/sleet it's snowing hard in the village at Solitude at about 9pm. Hopefully this keeps up.

Unfortunately this morning's Alta forecast that called for 10"-16" overnight went to 4"-8" at 5pm.

And was a foot at 5 a.m. and still snowing! \:D/ When I left Alta around 8 p.m. what was falling had turned to snain after a brief downpour. Unfortunately power went out for all of Salt Lake City around 3 a.m. and by the time I got the road report around 5:40 a.m. I learned it was closing at 6, so no time to get up there before the closure. I'll be getting in line with everyone else this morning.

Power was restored shortly after 6 a.m. It was peculiar to look out the living room window across the Valley and see the whole place light up at once.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Marc_C » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:50 pm

Admin wrote:
Marc_C wrote:

And was a foot at 5 a.m. and still snowing! \:D/ When I left Alta around 8 p.m. what was falling had turned to snain after a brief downpour. Unfortunately power went out for all of Salt Lake City around 3 a.m. and by the time I got the road report around 5:40 a.m. I learned it was closing at 6, so no time to get up there before the closure. I'll be getting in line with everyone else this morning.

Power was restored shortly after 6 a.m. It was peculiar to look out the living room window across the Valley and see the whole place light up at once.

So let us know how it was. My weekend didn't go exactly as planned.....
-marc
Marc_C

Postby Admin » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:29 am

I've got to work on my post from this weekend sometime this morning.

Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Western North America