Whitewater Expanding with 2,000 Vert Chair from Vail

“The new chair is going to spread people all over the mountain,” says Cusack, “instead of little secret stashes lasting for a day or maybe two, they’ll last for four.”

I know pretty much nothing about Whitewater and I'm not sure where this new lift is going, but this quote just makes no sense. Is he really saying that stashes that were previously out of bounds will last twice as long now that they're inbounds and don't require a hike out? It may decrease skier density until word gets out and Whitewater actually becomes more popular, but this quote seems a bit ridiculous.

I'd probably defer to a Whitewater local to decide whether this is a good addition, but it certainly seems to add more for the typical inbounds tourist. It will increase the max vertical skied of any single lift by 700 feet and add 740 or so acres. From what I've heard, the main touring/sidecountry at Whitewater is Ymir Peak, and I wouldn't think that would be greatly affected.

I suspect there will be some local grumbling, though for us tourists it has to be a big plus. The new terrain was formerly sidecountry accessed from one of the lifts, needing to arrange pickup on the access road below the base facilities. Ymir Peak is a climb above the existing lifts and presumably the new one too. Skier density should decline in the old terrain but increase a lot in the former sidecountry.

Staley":3amfxli4 said:
“The new chair is going to spread people all over the mountain,” says Cusack, “instead of little secret stashes lasting for a day or maybe two, they’ll last for four.”

I know pretty much nothing about Whitewater and I'm not sure where this new lift is going, but this quote just makes no sense. Is he really saying that stashes that were previously out of bounds will last twice as long now that they're inbounds and don't require a hike out? It may decrease skier density until word gets out and Whitewater actually becomes more popular, but this quote seems a bit ridiculous.

I'd probably defer to a Whitewater local to decide whether this is a good addition, but it certainly seems to add more for the typical inbounds tourist. It will increase the max vertical skied of any single lift by 700 feet and add 740 or so acres. From what I've heard, the main touring/sidecountry at Whitewater is Ymir Peak, and I wouldn't think that would be greatly affected.
There's a lot of touring/sidecounty on both sides of the resort. Ymir Peak is a big destination on the northeast side. I would say that the sidecountry where this lift is going on got far more traffic b/c it was lift accessed with little work and you ended up at the access road. This is indeed big news.

Edit: If you look at the terrain this lift will serve, it's impressive. Still will require a hike/skate from the top of the current summit lift, but it will be worth it. Lift is going to go all the way down to near the bottom of the access road. The amount of terrain is opens up to access via a simple gravity traverse back to the bottom terminal is staggering. I think it will actually be bigger than the 700+ acres they are claiming - this may even be bigger than the current in-bounds operation when you count the terrain that will still technically be OB next to it (even though that terrain will get its own lift coming soon).

Mike Bernstein":xxt2b2n4 said:
If you look at the terrain this lift will serve, it's impressive.

I'd love to, but have yet to see a map or even sketch of the new lift area. Have a link to one?

EMSC":2n5flfqn said:
Mike Bernstein":2n5flfqn said:
If you look at the terrain this lift will serve, it's impressive.

I'd love to, but have yet to see a map or even sketch of the new lift area. Have a link to one?

Here's a map of their master plan:
http://www.skiwhitewater.com/documents/ ... kipods.pdf

It's not clear if the lift they're installing this summer serves as Backside 1, 2 or 3 on the map, or none of the above. I'm of the belief, however, that it's likely in the capacity of Backside 1 on the map.

I'm going with backside 1 as well, since the legend refers to a 303.7 ha terrain pod with that lift which matches the reported total terrain increase over 2 years of clearing the runs/glades.

thks

that's an impressive area i've criss crossed it a few times a bunch of years ago . skied out to the access road and thumbed back to the resort . that was a different life i was in my early thirties life didn't mean the same as now . this makes whitewater all the more appealing in my eyes . that place has some incredible side country off ymir peak some very impressive chutes on the main peak and the access ridge. i mean it's inevitable that it's going to happen even in a place like that (expansion) enough people use that terrain the ski area will open it up .

I looks great like a great change for Whitewater.

Some of the only good ski towns left are in BC: Rossland, Nelson, maybe Fernie.

Add some cheaper snowcat days....perhaps the best value left.

ChrisC":bfkxyrsk said:
Add some cheaper snowcat days....perhaps the best value left.
That's why I'm up there nearly every season since 1997. Not the screaming bargain it was when $1US was $1.50CDN, but still a good value.

Back