Mt. Waterman One Year after the Station Fire, 8/29/2010

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
After our first sustained heat of the summer, SoCal temperatures retreated into the 70's for the weekend. So I decided to venture up the Angeles Crest and see if 14-year-old Samantha was up to a mountain hike.

The direct road above La Canada is still closed, so you have to drive up Big Tujunga Canyon. Most of the canyon burned last year.
IMG_7182.JPG

Some of the burned hills have new growth.
IMG_7179.JPG

The upper Big Tujunga road rejoins Angeles Crest past Mt. Wilson. Here's evidence by the road of the fire intensity, with nearly everything in view even at far distance burned.
IMG_7174.JPG

A bit farther up the road, new growth and burnt trees with south facing scorched hills in background.
IMG_7171.JPG

In general SoCal mountains are more heavily vegetated on north slopes and more sparse on south sides. The fire heightens this difference as the south slopes were more thoroughly burned and the north slopes saw considerably more new growth over the past year.

Above 5,000 feet there is a mix of trees partially and completely burned plus new ground cover.
IMG_7169.JPG

This view is from a large paved pullout area about 5,300 feet where I viewed the 2001 Leonid meteor shower. The flat ridge at top center is Mt. Waterman. A close view shows most of the trees on the back of Waterman are brown from the fire, but they are still green near the top of the ridge.
IMG_7117a.jpg

Here's the new Caltrans station replacing the one that burned down. I didn't remember where it was before as it was hidden from view by the trees.
IMG_7168.JPG

View of Mt. Waterman's backcountry runs down to the highway, Avalanche at left and Winston at center right. From a ski perspective this terrain was completely unaffected by the fire. I later found out from Todd the caretaker that the fire got into Winston but only burned along the ground, fortunately not hot enough to catch the trees on fire.
IMG_7119.JPG

I hiked up Mt. Waterman's supply road starting east of the ski area at 6,700 feet to ensure a gradual pitch for Samantha. In a little over an hour we made it to the top of chair 2 at ~7,900 (unloading area visible through the trees at center right).
IMG_7124a.jpg

Near the top of the ridge. The ridge is fairly flat with various extensions, all with plenty of trees. So not much in the way of panoramic views at Mt. Waterman. That's why people (including me in 1992) sometimes venture into the backcountry and ski into the wrong drainage. But often the trees protect the powder more effectively than on the more wind exposed terrain on Baldy.
IMG_7126.JPG

The only long view we had was overlooking Avalanche to the NW. The Station Fire burned most of the lower elevation hills. From a distance the burned hills look similar to the desert hills farther away.
IMG_7132.JPG

A nice rest stop for Samantha
IMG_7139.JPG

I didn't realize Mt. Waterman had a reservoir. They decided it was not big enough to support snowmaking.
IMG_7141.JPG

After spending some time with Mt. Waterman's caretaker Todd we headed back down.
IMG_7161.JPG

I was getting a bit cold by the time I got to the car ~5PM, the road mostly shaded and temps in the 50's. But it was perfect weather for Samantha as I had hoped.

Newcomb Ranch appears to be alive and well. There were 100+ motorcycles there as I drove by at noon. I had a bite there after the hike and several menu items were sold out. It's open Thursdays through Sundays.

I have posted Todd's story of his time at Mt. Waterman during the Station Fire, along with a few of his pictures: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8129&start=75

Nice pics. I did a solo hike a couple weeks ago up Waterman and then on to Twin Peaks, beautiful hiking country and completely devoid of other humans when I was there. The ACH detour really has deterred everyone but the motorcyclists from the high San Gabes, which is just fine with me. Twin Peaks is still in the closure area so I probably shouldn't have done that but.... it was an irresistable urge.

There were many patches of burned trees along the backside of Waterman down to Twin Peaks saddle, but actually less than I had expected. Twin Peaks itself was completely spared. The views from up there into the San Gabriel wilderness are absolutely incredible.

We'll see what this winter holds for old Mt. Waterman.

When Tony and I were at Newcomb's on the way home (where we ran into Todd again), I'm pretty sure their sign said they're only closed Mondays and Tuesdays right now. Yeah, I know their website still says they're only open Thur - Sun.

Back