Alta, UT 10/27/10

Not really. The locals are hungry.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
mobile.png

Admin":2hphuqjh said:
Not really. The locals are hungry.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
mobile.png

Understandably so. Still I'm shocked so many are willing to just head up under human power. I suppose there are a lot of people around there who are comfortable touring.

rfarren":38kumpyo said:
Understandably so. Still I'm shocked so many are willing to just head up under human power. I suppose there are a lot of people around there who are comfortable touring.
You're forgetting that SLC is the epicenter for people who ski/climb/mtn bike/canyoneer/etc and want a city life style.

And more video, Julian Carr and friends skiing Main Chute at Alta yesterday, 10/28/10:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh8BrydVg5g[/youtube]

rsmith":2uio4688 said:
Tony Crocker":2uio4688 said:
Amazing something that steep and narrow is stable and skiable from the season's first storm.

and seemingly rock free...
You guys are forgetting what a snow catcher main chute can be. It was a 44" storm total - that can easily exceed 70" in the chute.

Tony Crocker":3g88p0j2 said:
Amazing something that steep and narrow is stable and skiable from the season's first storm.

no weak layers.......yet. just rocks, turf, shrubs, and grass as anchors. if it don't keep snowin, whatever is on top will be the new instability. unless it all melts, probably preferred at this early date.

rog

Admin":ju83lc3b said:
icelanticskier":ju83lc3b said:
unless it all melts, probably preferred at this early date.

You are whacked!

not really. as far as lift served goes, yes, whacked. as far as bc? snow now with maybe no new for some time (haven't looked at weather, just saying based on time of year maybe 8-[ ) could create a nasty as all hell dangerous surface hoar situation that will be all covered up like a sleeping dragon till enough weight gets on it combined with triggers to wake the beast. that's my best tremper voice :mrgreen:

if most of the snow melts now and it starts up again in a couple/few weeks when there is a higher likelyhood of persistent snows, the dirty little hoar may not ge a chance to form/grow.

but what do i know?

rog

icelanticskier":jsqrnjjx said:
Admin":jsqrnjjx said:
icelanticskier":jsqrnjjx said:
unless it all melts, probably preferred at this early date.

You are whacked!

not really. as far as lift served goes, yes, whacked. as far as bc? snow now with maybe no new for some time (haven't looked at weather, just saying based on time of year maybe 8-[ ) could create a nasty as all hell dangerous surface hoar situation that will be all covered up like a sleeping dragon till enough weight gets on it combined with triggers to wake the beast. that's my best tremper voice :mrgreen:

if most of the snow melts now and it starts up again in a couple/few weeks when there is a higher likelyhood of persistent snows, the dirty little hoar may not ge a chance to form/grow.

but what do i know?

rog

I'd rather have a depth hoar layer than no base. And the next storm comes in tomorrow.

i hear ya. some cagey bc types may have a different opinion. stoked to hear yer gettin more snow. i gotta start paying more attention. nice pics and links btw.

rog

Actually Utah got off to a great start in terms of stability with a storm that big over bare ground. I was surprised about Main Chute being skiable considering how much snow it takes to get the Upper Cirque going.

Tony Crocker":vf5s9gee said:
Actually Utah got off to a great start in terms of stability with a storm that big over bare ground.

That won't last following next week's extended high pressure and temperature inversion.

Tony Crocker":1ibzj2hc said:
I was surprised about Main Chute being skiable considering how much snow it takes to get the Upper Cirque going.
Didn't I address this in another thread? Main Chute is a bloody *massive* snow catcher. Far more snow gets blown into Main than any line in the Cirque.

I was supposed to go up this morning but couldn't find where I put my skins at the end of last season. ](*,)

I suppose it could've been worse: Tele Jon couldn't find his ski clothes. #-o

Back