Telluride Sidecountry (Bear Creek) Access Gates Closed

ChrisC

This is a terrible development for the season at Telluride that a developer Tom Chapman bought $250k in mining claims/100 acres and was able to effectively shut perhaps the best sidecountry in the US (4,000 vert of treeless alpine terrain). However, I am sure it will play out badly - with many locals ignoring the USFS closures and escalation is likely.

On the other hand, Telluride has seen this type of situation before - and should have learned from previous experience. For example, the Trommer's were able to close all hiking on Gold Hill for a few years around 1990 since they owned a mining claim on the access ridge. The solution was permission to build a house and allow snowmobile access via the ski area property in exchange to letting skiers hike the ridge. It's now the Alpino Vino restaurant. If Dave Riley has conducted a year long survey (summer 2009 to even this fall 2010) which featured possible Bear Creek expansion, some due diligence on mining claims in the area and buying them as an "option" should have been completed as well. There is also precedence for Tom Chapman being active in extortion in the Telluride area - below.

Denver Post
http://blogs.denverpost.com/sports/2010 ... ide/14612/

Telluride Daily Planer
USFS closes Upper Bear Creek
http://www.telluridenews.com/articles/2 ... 604792.txt

Tom Chapman bio
http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_15058325

Chapman's blazed trails
1984: Tom Chapman announced plans for 132 homes on 4,200 acres on the north rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison, then a national monument. The Park Service paid $500 an acre, compared with the $210-an-acre appraised value.

1987: Chapman helped a rancher close a trail through his ranch, blocking access to a Gold Medal Fishery on the Gunnison River. The Bureau of Land Management and local fishermen paid $400,000 to buy back a pathway and restore traditional access.

1993: Chapman sent out pictures of helicopters lugging timber for a home on 240 acres in the West Elk wilderness he had purchased with investors for what he said was $960,000. The Forest Service in 1994 swapped the West Elk land for 107 federal acres in Alta Lakes Basin, above Telluride, which the agency assessed as comparable land. The following year, Chapman sold the alpine acreage in two deals worth $4.2 million.

1998: Chapman and Alabama investment firm TDX acquired 112 acres in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Monument, the year before Congress designated the Montrose County area as a national park. He paid $240,000. Park officials appraised the acreage at $500,000 in 2003, the same year Chapman listed the land on eBay for $1.24 million. Early this year, Chapman and partner Ron Curry finished construction of a 4,700-square-foot home on 33 acres inside the park. Last week, he sold the remaining 79 acres — which hosts five home sites — to an out-of- state buyer in an undisclosed deal.

1999: Chapman and TDX printed glossy brochures of mining claims inside wilderness areas near Vail, Durango, Crested Butte and Cañon City, with prices including potential homes ranging from $2 million to $8 million. Montrose businessman and conservationist Mark Young bought those 19 wilderness parcels from Chapman for $950,000 in 2007, but they are now in foreclosure.

2005: Chapman sent conservation groups and the Forest Service pictures of a bulldozer poised at the base of Red Mountain's famed Yankee Girl mine. Young bought the Yankee Girl in 2006 for $246,300 and put the historic property into a conservation easement.

April 2010: Chapman announced his Gold Hill Development Co. investment group had spent $246,000 on 103 acres of mining claims in the Bear Creek drainage above Telluride (pictured below). The Telluride ski area had recently won Forest Service approval for guided backcountry skiing in the popular Bear Creek. Chapman, citing avalanche danger, promised to prohibit skiing and hiking on his belt of land that bisects the roadless valley.

Yep. Chapman is well known in Colo to pull these deals every few years. I think they call it legal but not very ethical. I've never quite figured out where he disappears to for years at a time in between pulling these shenanigans. Must be snorting blow with his 'winnings' or something.

In this case I suspect something bad will end up resulting, since I highly doubt the locals will give 2 cents about it and will ski across no matter what. Then he'll try to escalate, etc... Can you imagine some of the local trust-funders vs Chapman over skiing across? Could be interesting or could go south in a hurry.

EMSC":1qxnbcaw said:
In this case I suspect something bad will end up resulting, since I highly doubt the locals will give 2 cents about it and will ski across no matter what. Then he'll try to escalate, etc... Can you imagine some of the local trust-funders vs Chapman over skiing across? Could be interesting or could go south in a hurry.

It's as if you closed down Jackson's southern boundary gates, Snowbird's westward gates, Crystal's north or south gates, Alpental's gates......with a single individual's minor purchase.

Likely to be interesting. Even Meg Whitman (R Nominee CA-Gov 2010) donated $$ to the Town of Telluride to pursue Eminent Domain rights on the 500 acres of the valley floor vs. defend property rights.

This will not go over well. Not only is the Bear Creek drainage utillized heavily in the winter (sidecountry skiers, backcountry types going into the San Juans, a travel route from Ophir to Telluride), but it is a major mountain biking/hiking area in the summer.

It will be interesting to see the extent Chapman's property rights are enforced....

ChrisC":114t460f said:
to pursue Eminent Domain rights on the 500 acres of the valley floor vs. defend property rights.

It would be interesting to see Telluride use eminent domain in this case if they deem the recreation use to be far more important to that area than other uses of that narrow strip of land. Not necessarily a good use of eminent domain, IMO, but I could see T-ride going that direction if Chapman is belligerent in his dealing for a payoff... er.. buyout.

ChrisC":114t460f said:
It will be interesting to see the extent Chapman's property rights are enforced....

Not sure how anyone other than Chapman himself putting up very robust fencing will enforce much of anything in the winter up there... You can leave the boundary & not cross his land from what I understand. Just that few will, because the skiing is much less interesting if you route yourself to avoid it (that's from other reports I've heard. I've never skied T-ride myself as yet).

How did he even acquire the land with no pre-conditions in the first place? If it was public land to begin with, shouldn't he have to allow pass-through at least to the public?

You actually have Tom Chapman engaging in conversation over here:

http://www.wildsnow.com/4022/bear-creek-thomas-chapman/

I doubt things would have come to this had the backcountry usage stayed the same as the last decade.

However, when the major Corp. in the area announces: 1. Tours across your property and 2. A chairlift that comes very close to crossing your property - I am not surprised by the outcome. I blame Telski for this mess. It's poor corporate planning. For example, Apple paid Cisco dearly for the iPhone label when it became obvious that it was the natural product extension after iPod, iTouch, etc. The same should have occured for Telski. Yet Apple resolves this before launch, Telski is immature to let this happen at the start of the ski season.

Telski immediately bought mining claims after this incidence in
Upper Bear Creek. Also they have historically bought other claims on Gold Hill. It's the cost of doing business in Colorado - forest service negotiations and private mining claim purchases.

Chapman's Eco development in upper Bear creek via access See forever and Telluride trail - whatever.

However, Dave Riley could resolve this situation for a few 100k before Bear Creek skiing is worthwhile.

Chapman did his due diligence.

Back