Snowbasin 1/10/11 with Bobby Dangerous

mrgskier

Wow! What a difference a day makes! BD and I skied at Snowbasin today. We poked around Strawberry in the morning, but quickly found the goods while it was dumping in the afternoon. We ventured into the side country on No Name peak and found some VERY interesting terrain & conditions:
P1040258.jpg

I liked Bobby reaching forward for more:
P1040267.jpg

Hard to believe this happened today at Snowbasin....but contrail is the evidence:
P1040282.jpg

We ended the day with a beautiful drive into the light at the end of Weber Canyon:
P1040294.jpg

How did the resort ski. I just may have to drive up there in the am.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
mobile.png

day32- 7th in a row - how about the basin ! skiing in bounds wasn't much different than alta or snowbird . their report (snowbasin) reported nothing new in the morning (right) upon arrival . the only weather station i've ever been able to find anywhere on the property is by the snowcat garage . as everyone knows there are three weather zones on the mtn. ocassionally the base of the ski area doesn't get alot of snow . and considering there's no low pressure in the area for a storm one can only surmize where the snow came from . with a due west flow yesterday the clouds were forming on their way up the west face of mt. ogden coming off the great salt lake . everyone always wanted to put a ten thousand foot mtn. beside a great lake well this ones just a little smaller but the effect is exactly the same. with a proper cold air flow over the lake it's magic . estimating at least 10 to 12 inches fell from noon till closing which is 4p.m. it puked hard all afternoon(on the upper two thirds of the mtn.) when we left it was dumping in the parking lot . got back to the truck about 4:30 p.m. the security officer gave m.r.g. skier and i a ride to the truck everyone else for except a few employees were gone . no one there to begin with . it probably snowed three or four inches on my truck as it sat for the day parked. no one should ever try to find the origination point of these runs for they are completely out of bounds and not knowing where one is headed will only get you into trouble before you realize it . the topography off the summit of snowbasin is full of steep misleading directions most leading to serious trouble . how about the last pic huh no computer enhancement needed .

Going to have to hit it when I get there end of the month..really like the place...the mens downhill is a fun run.

I looked a couple of years back for a sidecountry access gate down past the womens start (maybe 1/4mile and then just skieed some great snow down in the noname trail. Is there a gate now? Once you get below that intial finger ridge it seemed that most of the terrian funnels down to the drainage that ends up lookers right of the Pyrimads area. Are you in with some of the staff there or do you just take a chance in being ob late in the day with the risk of loosing your day pass?
Also Bobby a couple of years ago you posted a video of an area in bounds that was just epic, you had a name for it that has slipped my mind. Can you give any more hints to that area as my folks (park city locals) ski there occasionally and I wanted to help them out with some local knowledge.
Todd

There are actual gates but they require some hiking to reach. And as Bobby indicated that's an extremely dangerous area if you don't know where you're going -- just search Google News and you'll find numerous stories of people killed in slides out there. There are also numerous places to get cliffed out if you don't know where you're going. It's essential that you have someone who knows what they're doing lead you through there enough times to learn it yourself. It's really not something to get into here.

Admin-I here ya, do you remember the vid he posts a couple of years back. I was pretty sure that it was in bounds. It may have required hiking as well but it was patroled if I remember right.

I did that video he skied in. A few shots were taken in-bounds pretty much smack dab in the middle of the resort, but the vast majority of the film was shot in the out of bounds, uncontrolled, unpatrolled area he was in with mrgskier yesterday. Here's the video you're referring to:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6282

the first segment where admin is coming into view is called fat city . that's on snowbasin property but outside the boundry ropes . that particular shot isn't controlled by patrol but when things get safe enough patrol opens a ridge gate with an automatic beeper checker on the gate post and an avalanche hazard warning sign . the area mrgskier and i were in yesterday was much further out than that video . i don't recommend anyone try to achieve those particular lines cause trouble can be very quickly realized . one must have someone who has travelled that section of country side extensively knowledge is a must . screwing up out there will lead to many hours hiking back up or skiing out to the main road . it's 5,500 vertical out to the road requiring a minimum of an 1:15 min . ski time knowing where your going never mind not being sure . could take someone hours to find there way out - assuming one has gotten lucky enough to hit the right canyon that doesn't end in a 5 or 600' cliff over looking ogden . a party of people wouldn't want to get caught in hells canyon after a 5 thousand foot vertical descent and have there run end in a massive cliff . cause there's only one way now back up 5 thousand verts. mrgskier and i were loaded into the beer can at 3:30 yesterday afternoon with it snowing probably 3+" of snow an hour (puking) visibility was at best 100' . a single lap is app. 1hour back to the john paul chair with not to much stopping .

Back