Vail, CO 4-3-11

EMSC

“Rolling the dice”

With Tony Crocker hitting Colorado for the first time in a few years I headed out the door early to meet up with him at Vail. Hitting rain at lower elevations (Georgetown, Dillon) and wet slushy snow above ~9,000 to 9,500 feet. And of course the precipitation then ended 2/3 of the way down Vail pass where it was overcast, but 45F and dry as a bone at Vail. :? After meeting up with Tony and his friend Richard we headed up to check out how sporting the conditions would be as I lamented that we might be better off at Breckenridge since it was snowing hard over that way.

Image00001.jpg

Conditions were very frozen up top where the temp was 26F and even the groomers off Mtn Top were not particularly fun despite a dusting of snow. After a couple of quick laps Tony needed to meet up with a group of folks on a trip with a different forum. So as a group we headed over to Game Creek for a lap on a groomer which was in much better condition IMHO though only a few light flurries had come down so far. The Back Bowls and Blue Sky Basin were closed, presumably due to the hard frozen conditions so the group instead headed toward Northwoods getting in one lap there before all heck let loose.

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

With initially graupel the size of marbles pounding down for 10 minutes before it switched to just very heavy snow. Once at the top again and having made the choice to try a different trail on Northwoods a single flash of light and thunder came along. Having skied in thunder snow before I knew what was next – every lift on the mountain shut down leaving us no option but to either stand in the whipping snow or to ski all the way back to the base.

We headed down on about a very quick inch or so of snow making for already dramatically better conditions. The group decided to eat an early lunch (it was about 11:40) at the Red Lion in the main village which is actually the first time I have ever eaten in the village for lunch (I’m always up on the hill for lunch, assuming I even stop). By the time we finished the lifts had re-opened (they had closed for about an hour). By that time at least 4-5 inches had fallen, softening things up quite a bit and most of the back bowls were opened though still no Blue Sky Basin.

With the much better but not exactly deep conditions, lower angle slopes were the call and we basically lapped China bowl for the afternoon until it closed at 3:30. It was what the doctor ordered as the lower angle stuff skied great and the hard bottom was only really evident on the few and mostly avoided steeper pitches. Oddly though there could not have been more than about 40 skiers if that skiing anywhere in China bowl. So untracked lines on each lap were not an issue at all. Unfortunately Mongolia bowl was not open, though for no apparent reason we could think of. BSB and the back bowls should have skied great Monday morning.

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Once the back bowls closed we took tea cup lift out and headed down to Highline lift taking a short bump run section which was much softer even in the troughs than I would have guessed though with probably 8” or so by then, things were getting fairly nice. Two laps off Highline including being the last ones on the lift exactly at 4pm finally put us back in town around 4:25. We had heard that I-70 had closed down back just after lunch and it was still closed so we opted to change out of ski gear and eat dinner in Vail. A friend I grew up skiing with owns a place right next to the covered walking bridge; so we had some good food at The George while waiting out the closure.

Image00009.jpg

We heard the closure had been lifted early in our dinner sojourn and each headed onto I-70 around 7:30pm only to get caught in a second closure with only a hundred yards worth of cars in front of us. We missed the window by literally 3 minutes, grrrrrrrrr……… There was also an overturned wreck in the median only a mile from the on-ramp from Vail highlighting the road conditions for everyone.

Image00010.jpg

After close to an hour wait they finally re-opened Vail pass again, with the taillights of cars ahead of me glimmering off the road surface over the pass. Interestingly though I never slipped or slid a single time going over… granted only doing about 30-40mph. I-70 up and through the tunnels was in much better shape and the snow stopped with completely dry road just 10 miles east of the tunnel as frequently happens… only to have it start snowing again on the final hill into Denver.

Image00011.jpg

A very long day, but better than I had anticipated given the heat wave on Saturday (80 degrees in Denver). Tony, glad to have finally met you.

The excessively blue lighting in the last pic bothered me when I posted it so I decided to try to correct it. Obviously the camera chose the car headlights as being white even though most headlights actually give off a very yellow colored light. Still doesn't seem quite right, but much better.

Attachments

• Image00011v2.jpg
    Image00011v2.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 2,828
Yes, this day turned out much better than expected after the first couple of runs. I was pleasantly surprised that the precipitation was snow from the start considering it was 46F when we arrived at the Vista Bahn ~8:45AM. I had never experienced a thunder snow lift stoppage before, though I missed one by an hour at Mammoth on Memorial weekend 2009.

EMSC's race trained style reminds me of Patrick. EMSC was on very narrow GS skis, ideal for the morning hardpack but I could hardly imagine a worse ski for China Bowl in the afternoon, particularly the 4th run through relatively tight trees. Nonetheless, as with Patrick talent made the gear irrelevant so EMSC was ripping it up at a faster pace than most of us.

Tony Crocker":2s4kbyfo said:
EMSC's race trained style reminds me of Patrick. EMSC was on very narrow GS skis, ideal for the morning hardpack but I could hardly imagine a worse ski for China Bowl in the afternoon, particularly the 4th run through relatively tight trees. Nonetheless, as with Patrick talent made the gear irrelevant so EMSC was ripping it up at a faster pace than most of us.
Let's never forget that when the majority of the marquee runs at Snowbird, Alta, Vail, Taos, etc were first done, 65mm underfoot was a *wide* ski.

Skiing ability is always going to be most important, but there's no doubt that pros can ski the crazy terrain much faster and more aggressively today with wide skis. Stomping cliffs is also extraordinarily easier with powder skis, which is one of the reasons I'm always amazed to see old Seth Morrison videos of 75 foot backflips on relatively skinny skis.

Enjoyed the reports and pics.

Our plans changed somewhat so we arrive in CO this evening.

Will ski Keystone on Weds. then try to meet up with some folks from that "other forum" on Thurs. and Fri. :bow:

MarcC":1kyclowe said:
Let's never forget that when the majority of the marquee runs at Snowbird, Alta, Vail, Taos, etc were first done, 65mm underfoot was a *wide* ski.
Agree. And amateur skiers such as myself were not able to ski that kind of terrain unless snow conditions were ideal. This was, and still is, a key attraction of LCC, that those ideal conditions prevail much more consistently than most places.

Tony Crocker":32lju8pr said:
MarcC":32lju8pr said:
Agree. And amateur skiers such as myself were not able to ski that kind of terrain unless snow conditions were ideal. This is was, and still is, a key attraction of LCC, that those ideal conditions prevail much more consistently than most places.

:bs: We skied anything on those skis back in the day. From personal experience I think back to my days working at Jay when we skied powder, ice, crud, trees, breakable crust...anything you can imagine. I was on a variety of skis through my patrol period -- Salomon Equipe 1S's at 204cm, some others I can't remember the name of that were 194cm with a shapelier sidecut but none of them were more than about 65mm underfoot. And I was far less of a skier back then than I am now (which admittedly ain't sayin' much).

Wide shaped skis make it easier, but skiing any terrain and any snow isn't -- and never was -- the exclusive domain of wide shaped skis.

Admin":27ugpsmz said:
Tony Crocker":27ugpsmz said:
MarcC":27ugpsmz said:
Agree. And amateur skiers such as myself were not able to ski that kind of terrain unless snow conditions were ideal. This is was, and still is, a key attraction of LCC, that those ideal conditions prevail much more consistently than most places.

:bs: We skied anything on those skis back in the day. From personal experience I think back to my days working at Jay when we skied powder, ice, crud, trees, breakable crust...anything you can imagine. I was on a variety of skis through my patrol period -- Salomon Equipe 1S's at 204cm, some others I can't remember the name of that were 194cm with a shapelier sidecut but none of them were more than about 65mm underfoot. And I was far less of a skier back then than I am now (which admittedly ain't sayin' much). Wide shaped skis make it easier, but skiing any terrain and any snow isn't -- and never was -- the exclusive domain of wide shaped skis.

I may be too young to enter this, but I did learn on straight skis, and I used to love flying on those. My first real deep powder day was on 1998 X-screams that were 68mm underfoot. I'm a better skier now than I was 5 years ago, but I don't attribute that to equipment. I think if I had those old x-screams it would not be inconceivable for me to ski steep terrain and powder. I think the wider skis allow people to ski faster in deeper snow and thats their biggest advantage. My father skis k2 hardsides that are rockered and 98mm underfoot, but I doubt he would've been comfortable in the deep and steep conditions skidog, admin, and I skied this past sunday.

I think shaped skis and wider skis have the greatest effect on beginners and intermediates. Nikki, who has only 22 ski days over 3 years under her belt skied regulator last friday! Ski technology has made the learning curve gentler IMHO.

BTW, Admin, you're being modest, you're a pretty darn strong skier...

I may have overstated the case, but fresh snow conditions were a total crapshoot for me before I got the Volant Chubbs in 1996. I had a handful of decent powder days before then, but in general if the snow was Sierra Cement, wind affected or inconsistent my legs would be cooked and I would be back on packed snow by lunchtime. On steeper terrain I would always seek out the packed as opposed to unconsolidated snow. Now it's the opposite; I nearly always aim my turns for the softer or deeper snow, on both the everyday skis as well as the powder skis.

rfarren":388wgepp said:
I think shaped skis and wider skis have the greatest effect on beginners and intermediates.
There is much truth here. I felt no compulsion to run out and buy shaped skis when they first came out. I already knew how to carve groomers and thus didn't buy my first shaped ski until 1999. The powder skis were a different proposition. I knew I needed help there and was eager to get better equipment ASAP.

Back