Vail, 4/6/2011

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
An interesting day, but definitely a challenge with conditions. Almost everything had softened yesterday, and it was nearly all overcast with some light snow predicted for the afternoon. Therefore in early morning the groomers were firm and anything off-piste was a coral reef. Once again altitude (with some wind assist) rules in spring and the contrast in snow surfaces vs. A-Basin was as great as Deer Valley vs. Snowbird last week.

Our group thus started with groomers. Somehow I had overlooked the winding, varied pitch of Gandy Dancer on my previous visits. A fun trail, but as it drops north off Riva Ridge and was shaded it was not encouraging to see hardpack there. Nonetheless I was eager to see Blue Sky Basin as it had been closed my previous 2 days at Vail. There was no wind and it was not that cold, so we made it over to the Skyline Chair (being careful to use the groomed Yonder and Poppyfields on the way), unloading about 10:45. Views of Blue Sky Basin from Two Elk, note the partial overcast.
IMG_8309.JPG

IMG_8310.JPG

There we met a group led by Vail instructor Rick, who had posted online that he would lead a bell-to-bell, no-lunch tour starting at 8:30 sharp from Lionshead. I didn't think I should be doing this, but I asked him if there was any winter snow left at Vail. He said the "Steep and Deep" trees were still dry, so I decided to try that. The snow in there was good and terrain similar to Snowbird's Gad 2 trees. But on my own I ended up on the frozen runout from hell below the steeps. When I got back to Skyline I was only 2 chairs behind Rick's group, so I decided to tag along as long as I could keep up. This turned out to be for 3 hours. We skied Champagne Glades to Earl's Express, then another Steep and Deep.
IMG_8314.JPG

We regrouped and Rick led us to an easier traverse exit.
IMG_8313.JPG

We took a run on Pete's Express, probably Hornsilver. This was similar to the Champagne glades, a bumpy ride on just partially softened snow through intermediate pitched trees. The snow conditions made it a challenging test, and I was generally the slowest skier in the group, but typically by only half a minute or so. By noon the overcast was 100% and thicker so we moved to the front side. Rick headed for Highline, one of Vail's signature mogul runs (another good joegm destination). I have never skied a long mogul run like that with as much hardpack, but I managed to survive OK. I guess being on my 48th day of the season makes such challenges easier than in pre-retirement years. Here's Rick on Highline.
IMG_8318.JPG

And Lisa from Castle, where you probably never see moguls like these.
IMG_8321.JPG

Looking down the lower section of Highline.
IMG_8323.JPG

Now it began to snow, but very lightly so it would not change snow surfaces as on Sunday. On the way to Chair 11 Rick diverted into Hairbag Alley. This is a roller coaster gully like Upper Black Forest or Snake Pit, though at least as long as those 2 runs combined. Next were Riva Glades, similar to those in Blue Sky in terms of pitch and crunchy snow. Next we moved to Mid-Vail, on the way back to the Lionshead side. Naturally this was via the Skipper and Look Ma moguls. It was now 1:45PM and I arrived at Mid-Vail slightly light-headed. I took this as a sign that I should leave Rick's group and get some lunch. At any rate it was an enjoyable insider's tour that included only one run (Highline) that I had skied in 12 previous days at Vail.

After a 45 minute lunch break I confined myself to cruisers for the last hour. I ran into one of the other groups in Game Creek Bowl, then skied to Vail Village via Avanti and Bear Tree. Total 25,700 vertical for the day.

hi tony hope everything is well and your enjoying yourself- but only one question - is it really as flat as the pictures make it look ?

Bobby Danger":38lwrqxt said:
hi tony hope everything is well and your enjoying yourself- but only one question - is it really as flat as the pictures make it look ?

Highline has a decent grade, and there are parts of the back bowls and Blue Sky that are steep, but you don't see the consistency and level of steeps that exist off the ridges at snowbird and Alta. Also, I have found that the steepest bits at Vail tend to be 200 or 300 ft at a time, I can't think of a place with more than 500 feet of sustain 40 degree plus terrain.... perhaps, off of the Orient Express on the backside there are some pretty steep lines that are sustained, but again, most of the mountain's blacks live between 30 degrees and 40 degrees.

The best terrain I have seen in all of Colorado to this point has been at Aspen Highlands and Ajax.

rfarren":rpykpee6 said:
perhaps, off of the Orient Express on the backside there are some pretty steep lines that are sustained, [snip]

The best terrain I have seen in all of Colorado to this point has been at Aspen Highlands and Ajax.

There are some decently sustained pitches of probably 500-700 verts in Mongolia (off Orient).

As to more steeps in Colo, you need to get to Crested Butte and probably Telluride (I've never been to Telluride, but supposedly a fair bit of steeps). Not to mention Silverton.

EMSC":1dy6lb94 said:
There are some decently sustained pitches of probably 500-700 verts in Mongolia (off Orient).
That I believe is what I was talking about. I hit that after 16 inches a couple weeks ago. There were a few parts that got scoured by the wind, but all in all nice terrain. You could really let go.
EMSC":1dy6lb94 said:
rfarren":1dy6lb94 said:
As to more steeps in Colo, you need to get to Crested Butte and probably Telluride (I've never been to Telluride, but supposedly a fair bit of steeps). Not to mention Silverton.

I think next year's trip to Colorado (normally 7 ski days) I will fly into SLC instead of Denver, and drive to Telluride and Crested Butte. I would like to hit Silverton and Wolf mountain during that same trip, perhaps, even Durango for a day too. I'm lucky in that I have a friend out there, and he has friends in almost all of those places.

rfarren":2dyayc8l said:
I think next year's trip to Colorado (normally 7 ski days) I will fly into SLC instead of Denver, and drive to Telluride and Crested Butte.
Allow around 7 hrs. for driving from SLC to Telluride (assuming you take the most direct route and the roads are in reasonable shape). Also, getting from Telluride to anywhere else is non-trivial. The mountains sort of have their own idea about where roads should go. Plan your route(s) carefully.

Marc_C":3p5t1wor said:
rfarren":3p5t1wor said:
I think next year's trip to Colorado (normally 7 ski days) I will fly into SLC instead of Denver, and drive to Telluride and Crested Butte.
Allow around 7 hrs. for driving from SLC to Telluride (assuming you take the most direct route and the roads are in reasonable shape).
I'll most likely spend the first and last day putzing around Moab, Arches, and Canyonlands. I would then drive back to SLC, have Nix fly there and we would spend the last few days there skiing together at Alta. I think I could rent a car for as little as $17 from KSLC.

rfarren":3hhmqh9a said:
putzing around Moab, Arches, and Canyonlands.
That's supposed to be the last 3 days of this trip next week. Assuming the National Parks are open. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Tony Crocker":128amv32 said:
rfarren":128amv32 said:
That's supposed to be the last 3 days of this trip next week. Assuming the National Parks are open. :evil: :evil: :evil:
Dead Horse Canyon or the San Rafeal Swell could take care of that issue.

rfarren":2ce38cgw said:
Tony Crocker":2ce38cgw said:
rfarren":2ce38cgw said:
I think you mean Dead Horse Point State Park, just outside the Canyonlands NP boundary in the Island In The Sky district, off of UT SR 313.

Marc_C":cyo2gbbi said:
rfarren":cyo2gbbi said:
Tony Crocker":cyo2gbbi said:
rfarren said:
I think you mean Dead Horse Point State Park, just outside the Canyonlands NP boundary in the Island In The Sky district, off of UT SR 313.
That is correct.

Back