Alta, UT 4/8/11

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 75: Gotta love April in the Wasatch.

Alta reported a foot at 5 a.m. and another 10 inches by 5 p.m. on Friday. With so many members of our usual posse on the hill and Q still here from Scotland it felt more like a Saturday than a Friday.

First run was down Watson Line which yielded face shots on absolutely every turn. Everything was bottomless and we kept skiing untracked the entire day. As time wore on, however, the wind increased in intensity and left a slight wind slab on anything in the open at higher elevation that was still untracked. It was a wet snow, too, and consolidated in strange ways where it had been tracked. That's not to say that it skied poorly. Quite to the contrary. It's just that as is usually the case the first runs of the day were by far the best IMO.

Later that evening Q, Colleen and her husband Gary met us at Suehiro to join Bobby Danger and yours truly for our usual Friday night sushi. All but Bobby came back to the house for beers after dinner, a get-together that didn't wind down until Q left at 11:30 p.m. after crafting plans to address the 6:00 a.m. Saturday Little Cottonwood Canyon road closure.

snowave":1qhitb6m said:
Did Q bring you any leftovers from his swan hunt in Montana? :)

No, although it did come up in conversation. I love game but I'm not so sure that swan would be near the top of my list.

Back