Alta, UT 4/9/11

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 76: Wow. Just wow.

Our storm total as of this morning is up to 27" after the five inches that fell overnight and it's still coming down. The road was scheduled to open at around 8:30 a.m., so Pat and I set out around 7:45 a.m. to go get in line but the road opened early before 8. I got a text message from Q, apparently after leaving here at 11:30 p.m. the night before he returned downtown to his hotel and hit the bars, not getting in until 3 a.m. :shock: He was going back to bed. :lol:

Q, you missed it. Really missed it. It may have been only 5", but it was 5% fluff that refused to congeal. It also seemed to have sucked some of the moisture out of the snow from the earlier part of the storm beneath. The result was that you could pound down virtually anything with complete reckless abandon. The base was "bouncy" and the boot-top stuff on top fluffy. You could blast through anything. Even where it had been tracked it skied like untracked. I have never before been able to hit Bear Paw with anything remotely resembling that kind of speed. This stuff made you feel like a rock star.

In fact, we (Pat, Telejon and yours truly) never left Wildcat. We had no reason to. Collins held a <5m line all morning, but Wildcat was ski-on. We had trees for visibility and we had amazing snow. It was our own little playground.

We wrapped up the day with two laps through a completely untracked secret spot to end the day at 12:30 p.m., keeping some reserves in the gas tank for tomorrow, which promises to be an even deeper day. Our base just might exceed 200 inches after tonight.

kingslug":22i2m21e said:
Killing me..absolutely killing me...well I am skiing tommorow......still killing me....
I heard when you're suppose to go it's supposed to rain 27 inches followed by 5 degree weather and clouds....

Been hearing from Bob Dwore that we would not have liked it...too much snow and too much fun! One week and counting until we are back to the promised land...can't wait!

EMSC":30uvcc92 said:
:worthless:

This is a little late (he was shooting film) but here's a shot Dale took of the drift atop Sugarloaf Pass.

snowbank.jpg

Back