Return to our Home Page Latest Ski News - Resorts, Events, Equipment, World Cup and more Latest Snow Conditions from Around the World Ski Resort Feature Articles Ski and Snowboard Equipment Feature Articles Our Liftlines user forums A Ski Resort Map Covering All of North America User Downloads Search Our Site Free Ski News Subscriptions via RSS Our huge database of other ski and snowboard websites around the world Contact Us

Alta, UT 4/10/11

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in the western US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Alta, UT 4/10/11

Postby Admin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:11 pm

Day 77: Insanely good.

This is ridiculous...each day just keeps getting better. And deeper. Our storm total has now hit 43". EMSC has been whining all week about not including photos in these posts so here's one from today:

white.jpg
Alta on Sunday

I was a few minutes late getting in the line waiting for the road to open so I didn't pull into the Wildcat lot until 9:16 a.m., moments after the lifts opened (Alta starts at 9:15). Dale, Skidog and Telejon were thus already on Collins. I booted up and headed out and as I was trying to raise them on their cell phones Bobby Danger skied up -- he had been just behind me on the road. So we started out just the two of us.

First run was on Watson Line. Once again, face shots on every turn. Amazing. We then migrated to Wildcat and spent the rest of the morning there, bumping into mbaydala and Katie early on. A condo run was completely untracked. We blazed the trail into the Secret Spot, returning there for a second helping and finding only one track besides our own on the second lap. We filmed a lot for mbaydala's Powderhound blog for Ski Utah, and I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie appear here later tonight.

Bobby went to Snowbird for one run with rdwore while mbaydala, Katie and I headed for Supreme, bumping into Dale and Pat once arriving there. Catherine's had acres and acres of untracked, and we were #2, 3, 4 and 5 out to Power Line (#1 was about 10 feet ahead of me). With so much snow on the ground you now have to duck rather dramatically just to be able to ski beneath the live power line that's strung at a normal height. As Bobby would say, "Unbelievable!"

We lapped Supreme for a while via the Spiny Traverse. On one run we inadvertently cliffed out Dale and Pat, so Katie, mbaydala and I went back for another helping while Dale and Pat were still climbing out. We tried a line through some cliffs at the Catherine's boundary that's not skiable in a normal year but after 637 inches so far this winter and a base depth now at a season-long high, just four inches shy of the 200-inch mark, this is anything but a normal year. I can't truly say that I skied that line as much as sideslipped it but it got the blood going nonetheless.

Mbaydala and Katie had to bail so I skied down to Alf's to join Dale, Pat and Bobby Danger. I had a late 2 p.m. lunch before we loaded Sugarloaf to head to Backside, which opened earlier today for the first time in this storm cycle. Shockingly, skiers had bypassed a wide swath of Backside early on the traverse over from Yellow Trail and had left it untracked. At 2:30 p.m.! Good enough again for a second helping, Dale and I hit it around Susie's Trees all the way to the base while Bobby lapped Baldy Express in Mineral Basin once before wrapping up on Backside as well.

Honestly, it really doesn't get any better than this weekend. Amazing stuff.

Here are some screen caps from mbaydala's video footage -- the movie should follow later tonight:

01_alta_bobbydanger_secretspot_110410.jpg
Bobby Danger in Secret Spot (photo: mbaydala)

02_alta_bobbydanger_condorun_110410.jpg
Bobby Danger on a Condo Run (photo: mbaydala)

03_alta_admin_condorun_110410.jpg
Admin on a Condo Run (photo: mbaydala)

04_alta_bobbydanger_secretspot_110411.jpg

05_alta_bobbydanger_secretspot_110410.jpg

06_alta_admin_condorun_110410.jpg
Admin on a Condo Run (photo: mbaydala)

07_alta_katie_condorun_110410.jpg
Katie on a Condo Run (photo: mbaydala)

08_alta_bobbydanger_secretspot_110410.jpg

Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alta, UT 4/10/11

Postby Tony Crocker » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:43 pm

Impressive pics indeed. However the one at the top of the post is for some reason not viewable.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,318K in 2010-11
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Admin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:47 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:However the one at the top of the post is for some reason not viewable.

:lol: :rotfl: :lol: :rotfl:

That was POV. :wink:

Admin
Site Admin

Postby mrgskier » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:15 pm

WOW! Very very nice...wish we coulda been there! Raining in Vermont now..supposed to be 75 F tomorrow...and more rain! Please work on keeping the freshies fresh for us when we arrive next week!

And...what did you do with Bobby Dwore?
MAD River Glen Skier
mrgskier

Postby Admin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:19 pm

mrgskier wrote:WOW! Very very nice...wish we coulda been there! Raining in Vermont now..supposed to be 75 F tomorrow...and more rain! Please work on keeping the freshies fresh for us when we arrive next week!

And...what did you do with Bobby Dwore?

Because of his late arrival this season rdwore bought a Snowbird-only spring pass. I'm not into my regular Snowbird spring mode yet -- once we hit this time of year I'd rather hit that place after Alta closes as by then they're the only game in town. As a result I haven't skied a heck of a lot with him yet this season.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Bobby Danger » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:53 pm

day...65 - religious - moving beyond the 600" barrier one could only expect this quality a skiing day at alta in spring time . perfect
Bobby Danger

Postby kingslug » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:14 pm

Wonder if its worth coming tuesday instead of thursday...cost about 800.00 more though...
kingslug

Postby mbaydala » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:21 pm

Bobby D!!!!! KIlling it today!!!!! Working on the video now.
mbaydala

Postby Admin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:25 pm

kingslug wrote:Wonder if its worth coming tuesday instead of thursday...cost about 800.00 more though...

Nope.

Admin
Site Admin

Postby Admin » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:26 pm

mbaydala wrote:Working on the video now.

:drool:

Admin
Site Admin

Postby reefuss12 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:49 pm

Great pics i love it. but your killin me. Im starving for that stuff.
reefuss12

Postby EMSC » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:25 am

Admin wrote:
Tony Crocker wrote:However the one at the top of the post is for some reason not viewable.

:lol: :rotfl: :lol: :rotfl:

That was POV. :wink:

You should have eye droppered the actual grey snow color from the video clips to do the 'blank' slide :lol: ... Ahhh... I just like my visuals... Especially given my limited on-snow time for a few seasons...
EMSC

Postby Skidog » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:51 am

Sorry...no friends on a pow day...shouldve gotten in line a bit earlier. :lol:

Pretty much ski on Wildcat and Collins all day.

Jon and i had a great time bopping around. got firsts down jitterbug. We set the top traverse out to Keyhole second deepest i've ever skied that chute..it was soo good. Top part leading to the chute was basically untouched aside from a patroller.

2 great runs in Suzy's trees, and i will echo the condo runs...SOOO DEEEP....

One run over to the bird to see if Bobbyd was there since he didnt show up before the lifts started turning. Man that place was hammered by 11ish....one lift ride up peruvian (3 tram wait at least) through the tunnel and into mineral...totally tracked out...lower cham (was ok) got right on Baldy express and headed back to Mecca...
M
Woof Woof ;)
Skidog

Postby mbaydala » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:30 am

[facebookvideo]http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1995049395820[/facebookvideo]
mbaydala

Alta, UT 4/10/11

Postby rfarren » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:31 am

Skidog wrote:
One run over to the bird to see if Bobbyd was there since he didnt show up before the lifts started turning. Man that place was hammered by 11ish....one lift ride up peruvian (3 tram wait at least) through the tunnel and into mineral...totally tracked out...lower cham (was ok) got right on Baldy express and headed back to Mecca...

I noticed that when we skied keyhole when I was there.
Rob
rfarren

Next

Return to Western North America