Loveland, 4/9/2011

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Area #156. We vacillated on today's choice when we had $45 VR tickets available for Beaver Creek, which is an hour closer to our Saturday night destination in Aspen. However the coral reef conditions at Vail Wednesday with similar weather predicted for Saturday made me return to my original choice.

I was absolutely correct with respect to snow conditions, which were winter snow on over half the terrain, even more than A-Basin Friday. Rfarren might be less pleased, as there is an abundance of flat terrain, and Loveland is very unusual in my experience that the highest alpine terrain off the Continental Divide is overwhelmingly intermediate in pitch. Here's an overview of Chair 9 Ridge (left) and Chair 4 (right) alpine terrain.
IMG_8396.JPG

I was skiing with 2 of the Epic group, Mary and Scott, who were catching late afternoon flights east from Denver. Here's Mary between the Continental Divide views of Keystone and Breckenridge.
IMG_8397.JPG

From the same spot, looking east to I-70 and the chair 1 terrain at right. Chair 1 is Loveland's most sustained fall line of 1,000 vertical, nearly all north facing with winter snow, a mix of groomers skier's left and steeper lines near the lift and skier's right.
IMG_8398.JPG

Here's an overview of the Ridge terrain.
IMG_8400.JPG

You can see the intermediate pitch, and to me it was startling to see as much exposed rock in an area that has had 450+ inches of snow this season. Obviously there is chronic wind blowing most of that snow somewhere else, and I think alpine terrain that is steeper is more likely to collect and hold the snow. On the positive side is that the snow was soft windpack with no melt/freeze on the east facing aspects and even the flatter south facing parts at the top of chairs 4 and 8. There was some sastrugi but every run up there I was able link smooth sections with the best snow. Top of the Ridge chair is 12,700 feet, just shy of Imperial at Breckenridge.

Mary and Scott partway down the Ridge.
IMG_8405.JPG

Primer Bowl skier's right on the Ridge.
IMG_8407.JPG

We skied 2 runs on this side (skier's right with a ~1 minute step-up) and 2 the other way.

View of the Ridge while riding chair 4.
IMG_8410.JPG

We arrived here around noon. Chair 4 faces mostly south and the lower part with more pitch had softened nicely by then. The morning weather was mostly sunny with wind only at the top of lifts. After noon it became overcast and the wind got stronger.

The 3 of us at the top of Chair 4. Chair 1 runs and Hwy 6 climbing Loveland Pass in background.
IMG_8411.JPG

The last run before Mary and Scott had to leave for their flights was ungroomed Avalanche Bowl near Chair 1.
IMG_8412.JPG

Loveland base, I-70 tunnel east entrance and Chair 8 terrain in background.

I had lunch and then spent the last hour on Chairs 4 and 8.
IMG_8416.JPG

From the base of chair 8, you can get back to the base walking through this tunnel under I-70.
IMG_8423.JPG

While skiing chair 8 I could see the cloud lowering onto the mountains around A-Basin on the far side of Loveland Pass. So I was content to quit at 2:30 after 17,700 vertical. While driving west it poured rain through Avon, Eagle and Gypsum and was snowing when we arrived in Aspen about 5:30pm.

I skied there two years ago right after about a month after I had gotten out of the hospital (appendectomy with complications, spent 3 weeks in hospital). I was still weak but I enjoyed the mountain. I liked the trees below lift 4 a bunch. It wasn't steep up at the top but I remember it being really cold, although at the base it was over 45. It's crazy how much the wind has scraped the snow off the ridges. That would explain why those mountains in the front range are so rounded up high.

rfarren":1bcgnrkd said:
I remember it being really cold
With the slow chairs and wind exposure Loveland must be brutally cold midwinter. However spring snow preservation is impressive. Some Colorado locals grumble that A-Basin is a zoo on shoulder season weekends with all the people with Epic and Colorado passes. I think Loveland should be open weekends through Memorial Day.

If I remember properly it was late March, not midwinter, but it was still darn cold up top. The wind was so brutal. It's amazing people get married up at the summit on Valentines day, brrrrr!

My friend and I almost did a midnight hike and ski down loveland pass during the past full moon, however, it was extremely windy and cold that night following a fairly warm day, and we thought the better of it.

Tony Crocker":3a30tk4m said:
I was absolutely correct with respect to snow conditions, which were winter snow on over half the terrain,

Vail for spring snow (when temps are right), the higher resorts for winter snow...

Chair 1 is Loveland's most sustained fall line of 1,000 vertical, nearly all north facing with winter snow, a mix of groomers skier's left and steeper lines near the lift and skier's right.

Those groomers are the first trails in Colo to open in October in case you were curious (at least when they beat the Basin)...

We skied 2 runs on this side (skier's right with a ~1 minute step-up) and 2 the other way.

The best terrain on the ridge, though short, you have to go past that hump on skiers right to the next hump and then hike up ~5 minutes (if you tuck just right the first hump can be done with no hiking)... A few pics of the steeper area in this old TR.

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7968&p=45160&hilit=loveland#p45160

As to Loveland being cold, the answer is that much of the time it can be brutally cold during mid-winter. The old saying is "if the wind is blowing as you drive up I-70, then just keep on driving past Loveland and go somewhere else". It's not always horrible or something, but the wind is fairly incessant being exactly on the divide...

I tucked most of the first hump. There was a traverse line cut across the top of the first bowl, so not necessary to hike the second hump.

Back