AltaBird, UT 6/18/11

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Day 98: Could someone please pass the Super Poligrip?

This week the suncups finally arrived. And then Thursday night and Friday night things froze solid. The result was a bone-jarring first run out the Secret Traverse to Ski Patrol Gully.

01 snowbird suncups 110618.jpg

Honestly, most places they looked nothing like that but there's something unsettling about trying to ski when only 10% of your ski is in contact with the ground at any one time. It's rather sweet, though, when on June 18th the tram operator announces, "All major runs are open."

02 snowbird peruvian gulch 110618.jpg

Surprisingly the visitors still keep coming. Talked to two separate visitors from New England today, one with a Ski Sundown sticker on his helmet and another wearing a Jay Peak sweatshirt. Now that's dedication!

My last run was a trip down Backside at Alta with Bobby Danger, Telejon and Skidog in absolute corn perfection.

03 snowbird skidog sugarloaf pass 110618.jpg

Bobby shot some action pics on Yellow Trail and in Glitch Gulch with his new camera that I imagine will show up in this thread.

I split at 10:30 while the others took one more run. Marc_C arrived at the same time I was leaving and Bobby let him know that we were there. Marc_C, did you bring a change of shorts for after that one? The look on your face was priceless. :lol:

04 snowbird lower mt 110618.jpg

Tomorrow, though, those suncups should disappear and it may actually be a powder day in June.

The National Weather Service in Salt Lake City":9voyr6p0 said:
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SALT LAKE CITY UT
322 PM MDT SAT JUN 18 2011

UTZ001>016-019>021-517-518-WYZ021-191200-
CACHE VALLEY/UTAH PORTION-NORTHERN WASATCH FRONT-
SALT LAKE AND TOOELE VALLEYS-SOUTHERN WASATCH FRONT-
GREAT SALT LAKE DESERT AND MOUNTAINS-WASATCH MOUNTAIN VALLEYS-
WASATCH MOUNTAINS I-80 NORTH-WASATCH MOUNTAINS SOUTH OF I-80-
WESTERN UINTA MOUNTAINS-WASATCH PLATEAU/BOOK CLIFFS-
WESTERN UINTA BASIN-CASTLE COUNTRY-SAN RAFAEL SWELL-
SANPETE/SEVIER VALLEYS-WEST CENTRAL UTAH-SOUTHWEST UTAH-
UTAHS DIXIE AND ZION NATIONAL PARK-SOUTH CENTRAL UTAH-
GLEN CANYON RECREATION AREA/LAKE POWELL-CENTRAL MOUNTAINS-
SOUTHERN MOUNTAINS-SOUTHWEST WYOMING-
322 PM MDT SAT JUN 18 2011

...NEAR RECORD COLD AND WET FATHERS DAY...

TWO UNOFFICIAL FATHERS DAY RECORDS FOR THE SALT LAKE CITY AIRPORT
ARE IN JEOPARDY OF BEING BROKEN THIS YEAR...RECORD COLD HIGH
TEMPERATURE OF 62 DEGREES IN 1957...AND RECORD PRECIPITATION OF
0.47 INCHES IN 1964.

WIDESPREAD PRECIPITATION WILL DEVELOP BEHIND A COLD FRONT MOVING
SOUTH ACROSS NORTHERN UTAH OVERNIGHT...REACHING CENTRAL UTAH
DURING THE MORNING HOURS. NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS WILL
REMAIN ACROSS UTAH THROUGH THE EVENING HOURS ON FATHERS DAY.
SCATTERED SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS ARE FORECAST FOR SOUTHERN UTAH
AS WELL BEGINNING DURING THE AFTERNOON.

AT THE HIGHER ELEVATIONS...ABOVE 8000 FEET...PRECIPITATION WILL BE
IN THE FORM OF SNOW. BY MONDAY MORNING...3 TO 6 INCHES OF NEW
SNOWFALL WILL BE POSSIBLE IN THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL MOUNTAINS.

GIVEN THE COLD WET WEATHER AND ALREADY SWOLLEN WATERWAYS ACROSS
UTAH...IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO KEEP FATHERS DAY ACTIVITIES
INDOORS THIS YEAR.

"Keep Father's Day activities indoors this year"? Uh...no. :wink:

Admin":2ildlo9b said:
I split at 10:30 while the others took one more run. Marc_C arrived at the same time I was leaving and Bobby let him know that we were there. Marc_C, did you bring a change of shorts for after that one? The look on your face was priceless. :lol:
Well, Bobby's truck horn suddenly blaring not more than 6 feet away was kind of startling to say the least!

It was a lot more than "one more run"...
Back up the tram...Skidog opted for something on the front side so as to meet his wife and kid on the Plaza while Bob, Jon, and I went into Mineral Basin.
Mineral Basin - a couple hundred feet before Hyena Ridge
Mineral Basin - the steep face off of Lupine Loop 50 yards after crossing under the MBX down to lower Cham 1
Road to Provo - Mark Malu - Rasta 2
Bob and Jon went for Shot 12 - Andersons - Surprise Gully while I did another Rasta to Bass Highway and the plaza (altitude was bothering me a bit after not having skied/exercised at elevation for the past 6 weeks) where I met up with them.
After lunch, a final run: Bob and Jon opted for North Chute, I took Macaroni / Upper Silver Fox / Rock Chute, regrouped on the flats then we all took the groomers down to the cars, finishing at 1:40p.

Rock Chute is currently wider and smoother than when I took visiting friends down it in February.

Admin":1ygcgqbc said:
those suncups should disappear and it may actually be a powder day in June.

Those suncups look 'sporting'.

Does 0.4" count as a powder day if it's June? That's what the Basin reported this morning :lol: . At least they are going for July 4 this year.

Apologies to Bobby who wanted me to post this photo of his from last Saturday but I forgot to do so.

IMG_0069.JPG

It's June, we're skiing, there's still over 10' of snow above 10K. What better time for a goofy grin?

Back