Alta, UT 1/8/12

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Twins.

uploadfromtaptalk1326045196340.jpg

Sent from my Android device using Tapatalk

Twin sons of different mothers! In Vermont, they would be Darryl and his other brother Darryl..

mrgskier":2xgkny4a said:
Twin sons of different mothers! In Vermont, they would be Darryl and his other brother Darryl..

No, that would be Danger and Dwore. :wink:

Day 26: Another powder day.

As predicted, Baldy Shoulder opened during our second run this morning, with Backside following shortly thereafter, so it was a whole new set of freshies to be had today. I had two divine laps in Armpit before we moved on to Backside. By executing carefully we had untracked right up until I quit at 2:15 p.m. It was busier today than yesterday after word got out about yesterday, but still not uncomfortably so.

IMG_1604.JPG

IMG_1629.JPG

IMG_1642.JPG

IMG_1664.JPG

IMG_1678.JPG

IMG_1690.JPG

IMG_1727.JPG

IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1748.JPG

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1800.JPG

IMG_1807.JPG

IMG_1812.JPG

IMG_1833.JPG

IMG_1838.JPG

If that's a "B weekend," there aren't enough letters in the alphabet to reach what Mammoth's rated at right now.

O:) amy-skidog -rdwore and i did one more after admin departed ,out yellow trail one last time for the day it's sometime after two thirty, didn't do anything different than the rest of the day . except for , i was about one third of the way across greely bowl with aforemetioned people when i noticed that the tracks abruptly went left at the top of gunsight gully , no one had skied gunsight gully all weekend , so we ended our last run with an un-tracked gunsight gully out to the flats. greatly enjoyed by all , the only run we didn't have a camera , sweetness in the gully proper!!!!!

I'm trying to remember when I said no expert terrain at Alta was open. :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k

I recall saying less than 90% of all terrain at Alta was open. That is still true. Is a powder day on half or 3/4 of Alta worthwhile? Of course. Admin may disagree with my definition of A vs. B, but B or even C does not mean "stay home." And yes, Mammoth rates a "D" after the Christmas crowds tore up the manmade base.

I've been loudly advocating Alta over Snowbird during this entire slow starting season. So it's hard for me to understand why admin thinks we have so much (really any) disagreement on the subject.

Tony Crocker":g8yr58i9 said:
I'm trying to remember when I said no expert terrain at Alta was open. :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k

Here ya go old man:

In [url=http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9937#p63577 said:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9937#p63577[/url] Tony Crocker":g8yr58i9]The B is for the considerable amount of expert terrain that does not yet have enough coverage to open.

I recall saying less than 90% of all terrain at Alta was open.

No, see your exact quote above.

I've been loudly advocating Alta over Snowbird during this entire slow starting season. So it's hard for me to understand why admin thinks we have so much (really any) disagreement on the subject.

'Cuz it's fun yanking your chain? :troll:

Nice!

Question - sorry I've been out of touch. When did the snow start falling?

Tony Crocker":rscp5f2j said:
." And yes, Mammoth rates a "D" after the Christmas crowds tore up the manmade base..

just got home from mammoth. I guess a D makes sense but it's bad, groomers have rocks sticking out all over the place. I'll post some pics this week. I skied a few hours on Saturday and skipped skiing today to watch football. If youre paying for a day ticket it's an F and not worth paying for. They're trying hard it's just not fun.

Skrad":3si8dox0 said:
Ahhh! This back and forth surely means the season has finally started.
The obvious crack is that those two need to get a room, but then we'd hear complaints about one of them not being able to sleep due to the racket from the other side of the suite.

socal":3q83hrlg said:
If you're paying for a day ticket it's an F and not worth paying for.
That's my definition of a "D." Some people, like Patrick, will ski those conditions anyway. F would mean an area is closed.

Since when did
Tony Crocker":3q83hrlg said:
considerable amount of expert terrain ... not ... open
translate to
no expert terrain open here yet

And while we're on the subject, I would call most of admin's pictures advanced terrain. Expert to me is Highboy, Gunsight, Eagle's Nest, Upper Cirque, etc.
Tony Crocker":3q83hrlg said:
considerable amount of expert terrain ... not ... open
remains an accurate description of those places. I'm sure Utah sidecountry skiers like admin know what the definition of "considerable" is. :stir:

Even if 90% of Alta were open, which it's not, I'd have a hard time awarding an "A" when Snowbird is barely half open (or less, per admin).

Despite the nitpicking the feedback is useful. I have retroactively revised 3 reports to take Snowbird's percent open down to 50%. I am also giving Mammoth's last 2 weeks a D. I knew New Year's had to be bad but there were a couple of Forum reports putting a positive spin on last week. There were almost no rocks on the groomers Dec. 15-16 and socal's comments make it clear that they have not been able to restore that surface since New Year's.

Should we be using the same grading system for Utah and southern CA? Seems to me we should be grading on a curve. From here (still in Girdwood) I would probably have to score last weekend as an Alta "D".

jamesdeluxe":264nf87v said:
Skrad":264nf87v said:
Ahhh! This back and forth surely means the season has finally started.
The obvious crack is that those two need to get a room, but then we'd hear complaints about one of them not being able to sleep due to the racket from the other side of the suite.

LOL.... thats for sure.

Headed to Mammoth today for the week. Not expecting much, but it's better than what Mt. High has to offer, especially with East closed now midweek.

Skrad":2wzqsibs said:
Should we be using the same grading system for Utah and southern CA? Seems to me we should be grading on a curve. From here (still in Girdwood) I would probably have to score last weekend as an Alta "D".

I was sort of thinking the same. Look at these pics from Mammoth last weekend, to use school as an analogy, just because you filled out all the answers on a test doesn't mean you can't still get the same grade as a kid who didn't bother to show up, you both Fail. The difference between WROD skiing and reasonably full covereage powder skiing seems pretty comparable to an A(or B I guess) and an F.

Chair 5
IMG_20120107_102010.jpg

View from Canyon Lodge
IMG_20120107_131801.jpg

Looking down the Face of 3 (wonder how long the reservoir will last)
IMG_20120107_104709.jpg

Looking down from the top of 5
IMG_20120107_102445.jpg

god it needs to snow there soon , i didn't realize our southwestern neighbors were in such straits , thought you got some of those early storms . sad to see those kind of pics this time into the season. if it starts snowing here were screwed , there coming from both directions .

Interestingly they made a lot of snow Saturday and Saturday night but not Sunday. Maybe they'll just make snow over the weekends. Gotta be dead mid week, it was dead all weekend.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I would be surprised if Mammoth does not make snow whenever weather permits based upon the last lean season in 2007 and what I saw mid-December. That season had 6 inches November, 56 December but only 11 in January. There were no coverage issues on the snowmaking runs over MLK, and that included almost all of the lower mountain. But that January was extremely cold. This year is definitely tougher: 30 inches November, 2 December and most of the last 2 weeks have been too warm to make snow. As the easterners know, Christmas skier density and an all manmade snow base are a toxic combination for surface conditions.

For all of this, Tahoe is worse. 18 inches season to date at Squaw 8,000 and of course it's harder to make snow at the lower elevations at Tahoe than at Mammoth. Mammoth is 14% open, Squaw 2%. Shocking for January 9.

BobbyDanger":1fkkboyd said:
i didn't realize our southwestern neighbors were in such straits , thought you got some of those early storms
That would be farther southwest. December snow totals: Big Bear 26, Arizona Snowbowl 49, Brian Head 43, probably more in New Mexico in view of Taos being 76% open on a 44-54 inch base at Christmas. The big December winner by a mile was Wolf Creek with 87 inches.

Tony Crocker":1envr9yy said:
Mammoth is 14% open, Squaw 2%
:shock: I had seen comments from people around the intertubes that only two to four runs are open at Squaw; still, I thought it may be a bit of a hyperbole by disappointed skiers. Apparently not.
Been doing a bit of rubbernecking, looking at the facebook pages for these and other resorts: every time the resort does a "Hey the snow is great, come on up!" post, there are 30 comments from disappointed skiers, setting the record straight.

Back