Caberfae 2/9

dank

Woke up to about 1 - 1.5 " of fresh, but heavy snow. It was about 32F at 8:00 am. We were one of the first up the lifts at 9:00 and it was a frozen snow coming down that stung our faces for about 2 runs, then it changed over to a softer snow which stuck around the rest of the day. It was light snow so there wasn't much accumulation. It was very windy at the top of both peaks as that cold front was pushing in so that exposed the the ice under the snow at the top. It was suprisingly not crowded for a Saturday. We basically skied back onto the lift probably 75% of the time and only waited in a few lines that were longer than 2 mins. The temp was 28F when we left at about 2:30 so it hadn't really started dropping yet,they were forecasting negative temps for Sunday. All in all it was a good day for crowds and temps, but an average day for conditions.

Two general comments.

1. We stayed in the lodge Friday night. Apparently they have some issues with their plumbing as multiple toilets were clogged that morning. We had to wait about an hour for a plunger to be located, then it's plunge your own. Another room down the hall was having a plunger delivered as we were leaving.

2. If you are interested in the terrain park, even those who just like to take a few runs, don't bother here. It was really lame. There were a few small rails and a box. There were no jumps or pipe. This could be by design to avoid the large number of 'park rats' you tend to attract with a terrain park, or just really poor execution. A year ago they had a few big jumps and the rail setups were better constructed. A place like Mt. Holly in southeastern Michigan actually has a far superior terrain park to Caberfae.

This is probably my last TR from the midwest as I leave for Summit County on the 29th. Can't wait for some real snow and a run that actually challenges me.

dank":1si9ttql said:
This is probably my last TR from the midwest as I leave for Summit County on the 29th. Can't wait for some real snow and a run that actually challenges me.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions!

I do like Caberfae, however, I understand your points, I prefer to ski the South Peak, usually less crowded and has a but tougher (relatively) terrian. Enjoy CO!

Back