Liftlines Forums

First Tracks!! Online Home | Forum Home

Switch to full style
Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in midwestern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.
Post a reply

Trip Report - Searchmont, ON - 3/09/08

Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:40 pm

Posted: Mar 09, 2008 - 8:36 PM EST

Trip Report:

Searchmont, Ontario (North of the Sault St. Marie, MI)

3/08/08

Conditions were fantastic, although cold, -18 F, yes that is cold! Snow was super, groomed and natural areas were a blast. Snow was hard in the AM, but the sun softened it up nicely. Tons of natural snow, they do not make a lot.

If you ski in the middle of the country, check this place out. For us flatlanders, 750 feet vertical and 18 trails (a VERY low count by today's methods) make it a great place.

Also skiied Nub's on Sunday, another great sunny but cold day!!

re: Trip Report - Searchmont, ON - 3/09/08

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:51 am

Thanks for the report.

Does Searchmont have a 'good' 750' vertical? Meaning does it have a good pitch for the most part? How does the terrain compare to, say, Nubs? Is it wide open, trees, rocks?? You spent 1 day there, with 18 trails does it feel like you could do a weekend? Sorry for the barage of questions but I've always wanted to try it. Thanks.

Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:33 pm

Yes, the do get 750 out of it, felt a lot like Nub's front and south, but with MUCH longer runs. Seems like more than 18 trails too, I could definitely spend a weekend there. There is also quite a bit of off trail tree skiing if you are into that. Nice lodge too. I felt like I spent a lot less time on the lift than in Michigan and even got the quads to start burning a bit . . .

Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:49 am

Thanks for the info. I actually do prefer off trail tree skiing. Now all i need to do is convince some people to make the trek up there next year.

Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:19 pm

The trails on the far left of the trailmap are near glade skiing and there are many through the trees tracks. Narrow trails in places, you'll like it!
Post a reply
All content herein copyright 1999-2017 First Tracks!! Online Media