Hello from Hockey Town USA, Detroit Michigan
Lows have been in the 20's in upper Michigan, and the fall colors are in full swing all over the state.
Posting this from a Starbucks coffee at the MGM grand in Downtown Detroit (very nice casino).
With some time to kill before check out (can't loose anymore money), i have been going over the lower Michigan resorts web sites looking to see what summer improvements have been taking place for the up and coming ski season. So far this is what I have found:Nubs Nob:
new triple Gray Chairlift on Pintail Peak.Boyne MT:
• This season marks 60 years of winter fun at Boyne Mountain and we’re celebrating throughout the season.
• Replacement of the Meadows Chairlift with a higher speed, fixed grip, conveyor load lift. This lift not only travels faster than the original, it’s easier to load thanks to a conveyor belt system giving riders a seamless transition from snow to seat. This is what happens when Doppelmayr and the ChairKID Carpet have a "love child" and what a nice looking baby she’ll be. The new lift also extends further down the slope allowing speedy and more convenient access from the day visitor parking lots.
Additional Boyne Low E Fan Guns. These snow guns will make more snow as well as a higher quality snow with less moisture content, all this while using less energy. Let’s not forget BOYNE started the whole snowmaking thing many years ago and truly this is the next step in the evolution of snowmaking.
• All-new facility for BOYNE SnowSports Academy children’s programs, select junior rental equipment and Playcare. Helga’s House is located at the base of Boyneland.
• Glade skiing terrain has expanded north of Disciples and Superbowl trails. Precision select-cutting over the last two years has created over seven acres of additional tree skiing/riding terrain.Boyne Highlands:
Lighting of over two miles of cross country trails; lights on Fridays, Saturdays and holidays.
91 additional Boyne Low E Fan Guns. These snow guns will make more snow as well as a higher quality snow with less moisture content, all this while using less energy. Let’s not forget BOYNE started the whole snowmaking thing many years ago and truly this is the next step in the evolution of snowmaking.
• Expansion of night skiing/riding terrain to include Kath’s Run and Leprechaun.
• Bonfire and complimentary hot cocoa along the snowshoe trail on Saturdays and Sundays.
• Offering Aonach Mor Moonlight Dinner on Friday nights in addition to the Saturday offerings. If you haven’t experienced this popular dining option, it’s a must.
• Four-lane skier/boarder cross course to be open all season.Mt Brighton:
Has Filled in the “half Pipe” I am happy about this, the “half pipe” as they called it, had to be the worst in the world. Mt Brighton has a new web site (with a few of MY pictures in the gallery I might add) http://www.mtbrighton.com/index.html
Side step note:
Warren Miller is back!11.8.2008 4pm or 8pm - Ann Arbor, Michigan!
603 East Liberty
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
Glad to see more people posting in the Midwest forms, let's keep it rolling!