A Little Bohemia

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in midwestern US and Canada, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: A Little Bohemia

Postby Evren » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:34 am

Great post about Bohemia... and relevant a year later -- as others have said, more of an article reviewing area than a trip report.
I've been curious about Mount Bohemia, ever since I saw their famous/infamous trail map, with nothing but single and double diamonds and even a triple-diamond(?!?)
http://skicentral.com/mountbohemia-trailmap.html
As someone who spent over a decade in Chicago, this is the type of place I'd daydream about for a weekend trip. The North Woods and UP of Michigan has an edges-of-the-earth quality that is so refreshing when you live in the urban-suburban sprawl of Chicagoland.
Evren

Postby flyover » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:10 am

Evren wrote:Great post about Bohemia... and relevant a year later -- as others have said, more of an article reviewing area than a trip report.
I've been curious about Mount Bohemia, ever since I saw their famous/infamous trail map, with nothing but single and double diamonds and even a triple-diamond(?!?)
http://skicentral.com/mountbohemia-trailmap.html
As someone who spent over a decade in Chicago, this is the type of place I'd daydream about for a weekend trip. The North Woods and UP of Michigan has an edges-of-the-earth quality that is so refreshing when you live in the urban-suburban sprawl of Chicagoland.

Thanks.

Yeah, Bohemia's trail maps (there is more than one: http://www.mtbohemia.com/index.php?opti ... &Itemid=55) and the names of the trails are pretty silly. A sort of goofy and naive hyperbole has long been a part of Bohemia's regional marketing strategy. With regard to the maps, the funny thing is, they have a really nice, detailed, accurate and comprehensive topographical trail map mounted as a large, outdoor map just outside the primary base yurt. Clearly somebody put a lot of work into it. Yet, when I was there last winter it was not available in printed form for use on the hill and it has yet to appear on their website.

So far, it has been a lousy winter out on the UP for snow. Bohemia has only been open a couple of weeks, with limited terrain. Things may be turning around now with colder temps and a mild lake-effect starting to kick in, but word on the street is that they need a lot more snow to justify the trip out there.

Also, I agree, the UP generally, and the Keweenaw in particular, do have an edge-of-the-earth feel, especially in winter in a lake-effect cycle.
flyover

Postby flyover » Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:17 am

From today's snow report:

EPIC CONDITIONS
Come up now!
Still fresh tracks

Past 24 hours: 0 inches
Past 48 hours: over 13 inches
Snowfall Total: 157 inches

WE ARE 97% OPEN
81 out of 85 runs open
425 acres of terrain open

Can you tell it has been a lean year for snow? :lol:
flyover

Postby flyover » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:59 am

. . . and . . . closed for the season.

"Epic" might be a good word to describe the spring thaw in the upper midwest this year. 74 in Minneapolis yesterday, shattering the previous record of 64. High temps are forecast to be in the 70s for the next five or so days. These are our average high temps for early June. It looks like it has been only 10-15 degrees cooler out at Bohemia. Also, much of Bohemia faces south. Bohemia only managed to stay open for about 2 1/2 months this year, and from a considerable distance, it didn't look to me like they ever had conditions that warranted making the trek out there. Ugg.
flyover

Previous

Return to Midwestern North America