Grand Montets, Chamonix, France 2-24 & 25-12

EMSC

After 2 days on the south facing terrain at Brevent and Flegere, I finally had the chance to ski the north facing slopes in Chamonix. My brother arrived late Thursday, but without any luggage (while now found, British Airways has yet to deliver it). So we ended up messing around geting equipment rented and did not hit the slopes till late morning te first day.

We went with the 4 hour ticket to get my brothers legs under him on our first day. The weather was back to sunny and very warm. The snow stayed wintery for the most part except flatter spots and some west facing terrain. It's pretty firm underneath so thank godness for the few inches of new they had several days before our arrival.

Some nice long runs can be had and the scope of the upper tram can be very deceiving. It is over 4k vert and while some better terrain to ski to the very bottom, few do so the full vert is rarely used. There is a very spectacular run behind a ridge of rock when looking up from the mid station. It follows a glaciated valley. Even more spectacular to think about is that the top of the mountain is something like 3k feet higher than the top tram.

Our second day was similar to our first but with a few clouds early, then a heavy overcast by early afternoon. That was fine since we needed to leave for La Grave by roughly then anyway. Still getting used to the scale and extreme verticality of the alps. Even with wide angle lenses on the camera you can't show the coulier and the top of the next nearby mountain at the same time.

Lots of pics will appear at some point, but I'm writing this on a small android pad not a pc.

So what are your initial general impressions of the Alps vis-à-vis (<-- that's French; get it?!?! :lol:) the Rockies?

Admin":3cf5f4af said:
EMSC":3cf5f4af said:
I'm writing this on a small android pad not a pc.

As an Android guy myself I highly recommend using the Tapatalk app to browse/use these forums.

It's a nook and Barnes&Noble have a limited approved app store....

jamesdeluxe":3cf5f4af said:
So what are your initial general impressions of the Alps vis-à-vis (<-- that's French; get it?!?! :lol:) the Rockies?

It's hard to describe. The scale and verticality are hugely different in the Alps. Plus the cautions required by glaciers at times. That said, much of the resort skiing is done in areas where you can see long distances since it is mostly above tree line. Pretty views and easy to see your ski partner, but no fun in less than ideal weather. Personally I kind of like the extra long vertical runs that can be done. More options and variations on a run and people are much more spread out. It gives a more exploring feel to things. As for the handful of groomers (or piste's) they are way too crowded like the worst of the Rockies choke points.

Super busy of course coming back to work after a 2 week vacation.... It's going to take a bit to get all the pics and the rest of my ski days written up...

Here are a few pics from the first day at Grand Montets... My brother's first day on snow...

Image00001.jpg

Image00002.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Image00009.jpg

Image00010.jpg

Image00011.jpg

Image00012.jpg

One of the best pictures days of the trip was day #2 at Grand Montets and especially off the tram....

Image00013.jpg

Image00014.jpg

Image00015.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00005.jpg

Image00006.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Image00009.jpg

Image00010.jpg

Image00011.jpg

Image00017.jpg

Wow, that looks amazing. Got to make it over there one of these years just for the scenery. Is this the time of the year to go for best snow? How were the lift lines?

coldsmoke":13lt2bm5 said:
Is this the time of the year to go for best snow? How were the lift lines?

We found the timing a mixed bag. My total experience in Europe amounts to this trip with 10 days on snow. So Tony or others may want to chime in on some of my following comments.

My understanding is that Europe in general doesn't get tons of snow in comparison to much of the North American west (I believe Tony has said most are in the 200-250" range?) and thus early season is likely to have low base depths making the end of Feb or beyond the better timing - at least if you have to fly as far as we do. There were a number of repeat US & European folks in La Grave that said they timed things to late Feb every year to hit likely best base depths and also since lower elevations often melt out fast if you go too late in March (the differential in temp over 7K vert can be huge obviously). We had decent base all the way down relatively low in altitude on our trip.

The second part of this equation is school breaks in Europe. Britain has one somewhere in Mid-Feb that puts a ton of folks on the slopes and France where we were skiing splits the country up and coordinates things into 3 segments... When we were in Chamonix the first 1/3 was on the last week of their 2 weeks off, 1/3 was on their first week of vacation and on Feb 25th as the first group ended, the third group started... So our 3 hour drive to LaGrave on Saturday was more like 4 1/2 with rural roads a mess and even intestate class having super heavy traffic (never did get an answer as to why the start and end are Saturdays). If you are looking at France I would probably go in early March. Of course, the crowds were still mostly manageable in Chamonix on hill (not quite so much for parking/town) as it seems to be a bit higher priced resort area. The cheaper resorts (we did a day at Alpe D'Huez that I'll write up soon), seem to be ridiculously packed with skiers during the school holidays... And La Grave of course had few lines being an obscure little place to most skiers.

EMSC":ev4oopct said:
(we did a day at Alpe D'Huez that I'll write up soon), seem to be ridiculously packed with skiers during the school holidays.
You should try it on a weekend between Christmas and New Years. Craziest experience EVER!!! I'll definitely write a delayed TR from that day back in December 1992 on my blog once I've finished updating it with my existing TRs.

Besides around the Holidays in December (1992 and 2000) or early January (1991), my skiing Alps experience is limited to late January (1993), March (2003) or Summer (2011). March isn't that bad if you skiing at the higher ski resorts like les Trois Valleys. Its going to be Spring skiing, which isn't that bad. As for bad snow year, they are some places that are better than other mainly due to altitude or/and snowmaking at the lower elevations. I've had fresh tracks in all four months, December, January, March and August. I've also skied in rain in January, March and September, so...

My Chamonix trip was late February also. North facing slopes with decent pitch retained winter conditions. Altitude at the higher places is comparable to the Rockies and latitude is higher so sun is lower. I would say avoid the Brit holidays, which do create some overload combined with some French holidays at the same time. I agree on early March being best time for combined conditions vs. crowds. Look for places with considerable terrain over 2,500 meters (8,200 feet). I'm considering the Arlberg in late Janaury because that area has a high snow reputation, so getting in ahead of the peak holiday might work there. Late march April is good for very high places like Zermatt, but check on the timing of Easter because there are a bunch of Euro school breaks Easter week too.

Back