Galtür, AT 01/27/13

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in Europe and Asia, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Galtür, AT 01/27/13

Postby jamesdeluxe » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:11 pm

So I'm trying out a new-to-me region in Tirol: officially known as "Silvretta" but usually referred to by the largest of its five ski areas: Ischgl.

Whereas Mad River Glen's tagline is "Ski It If You Can," Ischgl's is "Relax If You Can." They're apparently referring not only to the ski area, which is huge, but also to the extensive après-ski, restaurant, and nightlife options in the village. It's a favorite of the "glamorous" middle-aged crowd -- you don't see many 20 somethings here. But instead of headquartering myself in Ischgl, I decided to stay at a much quieter and far less expensive place 15 minutes away, Galtür, which has its own separate ski area (not connected to Ischgl).

Since my hotel is ski-in and only a 50-yard walk to the base lifts, instead of going immediately to Ischgl, I decided to spend the first morning here getting used to my rental demos. People describe Galtür as "a small, family ski area" -- and it is compared to Ischgl; however, with 2,100 legit verts and a lot of skiable acreage, it was more interesting than I expected based on the trail map.

They have this cute feature -- an Express Lane for kids, so they can cut lines during the peak periods (starts next week).

Heh, just like the old days -- no hats or helmets on a 17-degree morning:

As Tony noticed earlier this week, people in the Alps LOVE to ski groomers. Whenever you ask someone on a lift about his/her opinion on the ski area, the response is usually something along the lines of "die Pisten hier sind sehr gut gepflegt!" ("the trails are very nicely groomed here!") with very little mention of anything else. Which isn't to say that absolutely, positively no one skis off-piste, but the vast majority of holiday punters don't. With a very short traverse off the upper lifts, there was plenty of barely-touched snow, many days after the last big storm. I found nice, soft lines on anything north-facing:

... and lots of Crocker Specials (skiable wind sift) on other aspects:

I had an early-afternoon beer on the patio of my hotel:

Then headed over to Ischgl for the afternoon -- more tomorrow.
jamesdeluxe

Re: Galtür, AT 01/27/13

Postby EMSC » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:57 pm

Looks like a nice spot to operate from while in shouting distance to some bigger places.
EMSC

Return to Europe & Asia