See, AT 02/01/13

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in Europe and Asia, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

See, AT 02/01/13

Postby jamesdeluxe » Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:47 am

Today was the beginning of a multi-day storm cycle for the region and with snow and flat light in the forecast, I didn't see any urgent reason to return to Ischgl. I decided to hit the last of the three smaller lift-served areas in the Silvretta ski region: See (pronounced "Zay" -- German for "lake"). I'm not sure why the village and ski area are called "Lake" given that there's no nearby lake. I should've asked a local about that.

Just like Kappl and Ischgl (and most of the mountains here), you take a gondola a couple thousand feet about the village, then a chairlift for another 1,800 feet. The above-treeline upper mountain has a Grand Targhee feel about it: a consistent double-blue pitch. This stiched-together panorama pic makes it look a lot narrower than it is. In the upper left-hand corner of the map, check out the Tourengebiet ("touring area," complete with a mountain hut), absolutely huge.

By the time I arrived, four inches had already fallen and it continued nuking through closing bell. It was already bootcuff-deep by 10:30.

The most impressive lift-served terrain at See is the Mediggrat area on the looker's left. You start by skiing along this ledge from which you look down into a very deep valley.

There are all sorts of interesting lines through the trees. I only sampled a bit of it due to visibility issues and because I didn't want to get cliffed out for a third time on this trip.

In another similarity to Kappl, there were no more than 100 people on the hill today, all of them locals, it seemed. I was delighted to be away from the hordes of tourists and hanging out with "real people," heh. Just like Quebec, everyone puts their babies in these sleds and drags them around.

Boy with His Toy Pisten Bully

"Please Hang Helmets on the Clothesline!"

Lunch For A Cheapskate King: 6 Euros (food prices were less than half of Ischgl's)

Even during a storm, Austrians like to drink outdoors.

Finally, around 3:30, soaking wet, it was time to head back to the village. The long #1 trail, which had some interesting pitches, takes you right to the main street.

I left the region yesterday morning in a blizzard. Given how hard it was snowing at the valley level, I wonder how much the ski areas got.

Another successful Euro trip now in the can.
:bow:
jamesdeluxe

Return to Europe & Asia