Interesting story

A couple of years ago it was even worse according to Richard's relative in Zurich. A USD was .92 francs on this trip, but there was a spike down to .73 two years ago. The Swiss government has since been trying to maintain a stable relationship vs. the euro at 1.2 francs per euro: http://www.advfn.com/p.php?pid=qkchart&symbol=FX^EURCHF.

Yes, the weather forecasts last weekend showed the snow continuing into this week. It's an interesting tradeoff. How many days of not skiing or very restricted skiing during storms in the Alps is it worth to get a couple of epic powder days when it's over? If you're over there just a couple of weeks skiing new places, not that many IMHO. The TGR thread was interesting for the comments on forbidden tree skiing. I saw the signs on the Rendl off-piste. That terrain below tree line was all refrozen hardpack on Jan. 21, so would take big dump for powder skiing. But no question they got that dump this week.

While there's obviously truth about the above-treeline/flat light issue, the severity of it is also anecdotal. You clearly had a little less luck than I did. I only had one morning on this trip that made me snowblind/seasick. During my two previous Lech visits, I remember one day on each that was tough going. I'd call that a decent trade.

And in case anyone thinks that we exaggerate about the lack of competition in the Alps, see Post #12372 from the TGR thread:

Hey Europeeps. I'm from Whistler and have been spending the winter in Briancon. I'm pretty amazed how everyone skis on-piste here. Was skiing knee deep cold smoke at Les Deux Alpes the other day with nobody else on the run. At Whistler it would've been tracked in 15 minutes. Good times.

Back