Morzine, FR: 01/27/14

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in Europe and Asia, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Morzine, FR: 01/27/14

Postby jamesdeluxe » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:15 pm

It snowed hard for several hours yesterday evening, which resulted in 4-6 inches that refreshed things nicely. I slept through the night and was 100% this morning: no more jet lag. I met first thing with my delightful host Chrystelle Felisaz, the press and communications director of Les Gets, who took me and a couple Spanish journalists on a tour of Les Gets and a good portion of Morzine, which has higher and steeper terrain at upper elevations with correspondingly deeper snow.

We warmed up with some on-piste: nice and soft with lots of loose snow:

At one point, we took Le Petit Train (the little train) to connect us with a lift on the other side of the village: a cute variation on a bus.

By late morning, the sun came out and we lapped bootcuff-deep untracked in the Chamoissiere sector, which had a nice steep pitch.

And then it was time for a proper French on-mountain lunch. :-D

Le Vaffieu

Fried Camembert For Me

A Home-Plate-Sized Puff Pastry For My Host

Dessert: a double shot of espresso with creme brulee, raspberry and blueberry tarts, and chocolate/coffee pudding.

After lunch, it clouded up and we charged through a thick flurry of graupel, which always skis well for some reason. At 3:40, it was time to head back to Les Gets.

After two days, I've skied maybe 10% of the total terrain here, if that. This place is bloody huge.
Last edited by jamesdeluxe on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamesdeluxe

Re: Morzine, FR: 01/27/13

Postby EMSC » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:05 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:A Home-Plate-Sized Puff Pastry For My Host

That thing is freaking enormous!

jamesdeluxe wrote:This place is bloody huge.

I found that that pretty much describes nearly all of the Euro resorts. You're only an hour away from Chamonix by car... Hmm, time for a Vallee Blanche run off the Midi? Just kidding.
EMSC

Re: Morzine, FR: 01/27/13

Postby jasoncapecod » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:51 pm

Jeez...that lunch sure isn't for the lactose intolerant..how do you move after eating all that..
jasoncapecod

Re: Morzine, FR: 01/27/14

Postby BryanL » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:09 pm

Hey, that train looks like James the Tank Engine from the Thomas series. Was that the icing on the cake (or glace sur la gateau?) from your trip? Just kidding. Add another one to my bucket list. \:D/
BryanL

Return to Europe & Asia