Zermatt, Switz., Feb. 10, 2014

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Today was a bad weather day, so the Diamond Dogs abandoned the original plan to ski into Italy. The entire Klein Matterhorn side of Zermatt was closed all day.
Zermatt_Piste_Map.jpg

Liz and I headed up the 10AM Gornergrat train. After a big day Sunday and predicted clearing the next 2 days we were not motivated to ski adventurously or battle poor visibility off piste. The sole exception was this tree shot off Piste #40.
IMG_5461.JPG

It skied great but was only 250 vertical before getting back on piste.

There’s an igloo bar just below Rotenboden. We stopped by and Liz was greeted by a friendly St. Bernard.
IMG_5457.JPG

The guy in yellow was not so friendly, about to accost me for taking pics that he was out there selling. The igloo was reserved that day for a “team building” event of insurance agents from Florida.

We twice skied down to Furi. There’s a big bowl below Riffleberg but we just ventured into a corner of it, not wanting to commit to a longer run in bad visibility. Overall the weather was disappointing because it was supposed to snow 6-10 inches but hardly snowed at all in the Gornergrat or Rothorn sectors despite the fog and thick cloud. The next day we found it where it DID snow though. \:D/

As I’ve mentioned in other Euro reports, there often a consolation prize when the weather is not cooperative for skiing. Zermatt is viewed by many as having the best on mountain restaurants in the world. So we found Zum See just below Furi and were squeezed in about 1:30PM.
IMG_5462.JPG

As in many places in Zermatt, original farm buildings are preserved also.
IMG_5465.JPG

We were in the glassed in area which is used for alfresco dining in nicer weather.
IMGP0078.JPG

Here’s our lunch, spinach and cheese tortellini, fish soup and air dried beef and cheese.
IMGP0079.JPG

Don’t forget dessert, apple strudel with custard and red wine plums with cinnamon ice cream.
IMGP0081.JPG

We rolled out of there about 3:20 for the last 400 vertical down to the western edge of Zermatt to catch the bus back to our hotel. Along the way we saw this interesting rope course in the trees next to the piste.
IMG_5470.JPG

A modest 13,700 vertical, 1K of powder.

Back