2014 International Report on Snow & Mountain Tourism

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
I probably posted this link somewhere on FTO but can't find it.
http://www.vanat.ch/RM-world-report-2014.pdf
Lots of interesting info in there:
List of resorts with over 1 million skier visits Page 9
Market share by region Page 11
Proportion of foreign skiers by country Page 13
Detail stats by country Pages 18-19
Analysis of the 4 major countries in the Alps Pages 22-30
The report continues with descriptions of nearly every country in the world that has ski facilities.
Canada Page 87
US Page 91
Japan Page 99

There are some nice photos; I wish he had included captions so we know what we're looking at.

On the page 9 graph, he separates out villages in some Alps ski regions (Paradiski, Espace Killy), partially separates others (3 Vallees, Zillertal), and keeps some regions together (Saalbach/Hinterglemm, Kaiser Wilder Skiwelt, Grand Massif, Ischgl). Makes it hard to compare apples to apples.

Look at those numbers for Les Arcs and La Plagne, wow.

jamesdeluxe":2wt41kk8 said:
Look at those numbers for Les Arcs and La Plagne, wow.
Yes, just under 5 million only trailing Trois Vallees combined at 6 million. Given those numbers I'm surprised Val d'Isere/Tignes is only 3 million. Lech/Zurs is not listed, so under a million and thus we can't tell what the Arlberg total is, other than it can't be too much over 2 million. So the Ischgl complex at 2 million is not so under the radar by comparison. For Portes-de-Soleil we don't know whether the 1+ million for Avoriaz is the whole complex or or not.

Tony Crocker":1vuna0vg said:
So the Ischgl complex at 2 million is not so under the radar by comparison.
Ischgl is very popular. The only reason its numbers aren't higher is that the region has, according to Where to Ski/Snowboard Worldwide, only recently (i.e. over the past five years) been discovered by the Brits. For obvious reasons, les Rosbifs tend to default to France.

While the U.S. numbers are pretty clear, he didn't do a very good job at making the Alps stats easy to parse.

Back