Stoos, CH 03/07/16

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in Europe and Asia, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Stoos, CH 03/07/16

Postby jamesdeluxe » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:54 am

I headed back to other end of Lake Lucerne to another of the Schwyz region's local ski areas: Stoos. On the way to the Autobahn along the lake, I stopped for a photo op:

Stoos isn't a big area for the Alps (21 miles of marked trails, 2,100 vertical feet) and everything is basically served by two high-speed sixers, but there's a ton of off-piste between the lifts (more than a mile as the crow flies) and outside.

As a train freak, it was cool to take the funicular/cable railway that takes you from the valley floor up 2,400 vertical feet to the bottom of the ski area. It felt like an insane incline for something that was built in 1933. The current cars are almost 50 years old. I read in the base station that they've just finished drilling the tunnel for a new high-tech funicular, slated to open in 2017 (the dotted line in the map above).

Check it out -- the entire railway is single track EXCEPT a 50-yard section. The trains are attached to the cable so that the one going downhill hits the siding at exactly the same time as the one going uphill:

Here's the view from the top of the funicular:

You have to do a bit of skating, then take a rope tow and a couple t-bars to reach the chairlift:

Most of the offpiste near the trails was tracked out, but because it'd been cold and the terrain faces directly north, it was in real soft condition:

Without local guidance, I didn't feel comfortable going too far afield. Too bad, I could see locals getting beautiful untracked runs in the distance. Still, with a bit of traversing to low-angle pitches, I found a bunch of areas like this -- not bad at all:

Here's the view from the top:

Heading into a mountain hut for a late lunch:

jamesdeluxe

Return to Europe & Asia