Costs/Value of Skiing in Japan

Tony Crocker":2uei2z25 said:
coldsmoke":2uei2z25 said:
I would have booked for 4 people back in the fall.
I thought I did. I may have a faulty memory, but again it seems strange to book a suite that large for only two.

I must have misread then, I thought you were fully aware it was a 2 person reservation.

coldsmoke":2uei2z25 said:
$450 a person. Not a lot of $ considering what was spent on the whole trip.
Tony Crocker":2uei2z25 said:
This strikes me as an ivory tower comment. I've traveled with many people including several on FTO. Most of them would fight like dogs over a last minute charge of that magnitude.

No ivory tower here, $450 is a lot of $ to me. I'm just in awe of how much you spend each winter and have always wondered why you don't buy a small condo in SLC, it seems it would be much more cost effective. But I guess the Wasatch isn't big enough for you and Admin to coexist :) .

coldsmoke":3nimgfgc said:
I'm just in awe of how much you spend each winter and have always wondered why you don't buy a small condo in SLC, it seems it would be much more cost effective.
As you probably know, I do have that timeshare week at Iron Blosam in March. I am in general quite skeptical of vacation real estate as being cost effective. There are significant ongoing carrying costs that apply even when you're not using it. And we've all learned recently that vacation real estate prices can move in both directions.

If you want vacation real estate to make sense, I think you need to be using it for the vast majority of your vacation time. Liz and I like variety (note Kokusai being my 200th ski area), and thus seeing new places is a key component of our travels. This is a mindset issue, not a budget issue as Patrick for example feels exactly the same way.

If our financial circumstances worsened, the appropriate response from a ski perspective would be to sell our house and move to SLC full time, much as that would :shock: admin.

Back