Saalbach/Leogang/Hinterglemm, Austria, Jan. 26, 2017

Tony Crocker

Administrator
Staff member
Saalbach.png

Here’s the view out our window at the Alpinresort.
IMG_8114.JPG

Liz and I started up the same Schattberg gondola I used Wednesday, but turned south to ski the scenic 2b trail toward Vorderglemm, overview from opposite side.
IMG_8118.JPG

The is no lift coming back up, so evidently the route is very popular early in the morning for those following signs to “Ski the Circus” passing though all of the connected resorts.
IMG_8116.JPG

All of these big Austrian ski complexes have designated routes to plan your day linking most if not all of the sectors. I generally prefer to cut these plans at least in half, so as to run extra laps in sectors that look interesting or time the runs to maximize sun exposure. I look at the Saalbach complex more like a figure 8: do the upvalley half and Fieberbunn one day and the lower valley/Leogang the next day as we are doing today.

From Vorderglemm we take the gondola up to Wildenkarkogel, and then a couple of short lifts 23 and 55 in the morning sun to reach the top of Leogang.
IMG_8120.JPG

Liz liked this sign there.
P1260022.JPG

We skied two long north facing pistes into Leogang. Top of 88 here:
IMG_8122.JPG

We then returned via the short lifts 54, 56 and 25 to Wildenkarkogel. From there we crossed to the #9 chair and skied to the Panorama restaurant recommended by Where to Ski and Snowboard. Panorama did not disappoint.
IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_8128.JPG

Panorama also has a Champagne bar.
IMG_8127.JPG

After lunch we skied to Saalbach under the #7 lift, which is a pulse gondola similar to that at La Grave.
IMG_8131.JPG

Once in town you need to take a couple of elevators and walk a block to get to the #11 gondola going up the valley. Liz wanted a quick tour to Hinterglemm, which took about an hour round trip. We skied 29,000 vertical and still had time for a nice Euro lunch. The last 3 days totaled a record 101,900 vertical for me.

After dinner we went out for some authentic Austrian entertainment.
IMG_8140a.JPG

You really got every Euro casual skier's dream weather/conditions. What is that dessert sitting in front of Liz? Looks like 3,000 calories of fun -- good thing that she's so thin.

Yes that dessert of raspberry pastry was about twice the size we expected.

Those spinach dumplings in front of me don't look as impressive but they were amazing.

Back