Thollon les Mémises, FR: 03/11/17

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Day 8
For the final ski day of this trip, I drove an hour west to the eastern edge of Lake Geneva near Montreux and turned onto a road that runs right along the water.
001_(Copy).jpg

002_(Copy).jpg

004.JPG

Heading up into the ski area on a new gondola.
4a_(Copy).jpg

005.JPG

It's not a huge area by Alps standards, but the trails add up to 50 kilometers. The slopes on the looker's right are maybe 700 verts; the middle area served by a triple about 1,100:

Plan des Pistes.jpg

I was on the snow by 10:15, but being at a comparatively low elevation, Thollon les Mémises was already in spring mode and it didn't appear that they got the recent five-foot dump like the Portes du Soleil a short distance away to the southeast. The snow was pretty much bulletproof, so I took a quick photo tour on skis to kill time until things softened, which I was guessing wouldn't be until early afternoon given that most of the terrain faces dead north.

The entire place was filled exclusively with local families and I was amazed how tiny kids and teenagers alike were ripping the concrete surface like Jean-Claude Killy, with zero complaints.
008.JPG

Running gates:
009_(Copy).jpg

For obvious reasons, Thollon les Mémises' tagline is "Between Sky and Lake." While the view is not quite as powerful as Quebec's Le Massif (where the St. Lawrence River is six miles wide and almost looks like the ocean), this is still an effective value-added visual:
009a_(Copy).jpg

009b.JPG

Most of the trails are named after flowers or berries:
L'Azalée.JPG

If you subtract the view of the lake, I would've guessed that this was New Mexico.
009d.JPG

This beautiful face is earned-turns only because it ends in a drainage that dumps you out a couple miles from the ski area base:
010_(Copy).jpg

I decided to go back to the restaurant to have a beer or two and work on my tan while the snow warmed up.
Resto 1.JPG

Resto 2.JPG

Resto 3.JPG

Around 12:30, it was time to head back to the summit and try out the area's signature run: Les Vielles Cases. You can see it on the map above on the far looker's left -- a scenic 2,000-vert drop into a valley with distracting views of the lake at every turn:
011_(Copy).jpg

The sun had softened the trail beautifully -- so nice, I ended up lapping it three times:
012.JPG

12a_(Copy).jpg

13a.JPG

014.JPG

That's the city of Montreux in the background on the north side of the lake -- famed for a world famous jazz festival and its role in the song "Smoke On The Water."
14a_(Copy).jpg

15_(Copy).jpg

From this vantage point facing mid-lake, we're now looking west at the city of Lausanne:
15a_(Copy).jpg

You begin the uphill return on, what else, a Poma detachable platter:
016.JPG

Then sneak through the woods:
017.JPG

And take an old double chair back toward the base.
020.JPG

021.JPG

With so many bigger options nearby, Thollon les Mémises might be considered a novelty ski area for a fly-in visitor; however, it was a fun way to spend five hours and you couldn't beat the price for an all-day lift ticket, $23 -- and that's the regular rate, not a late-season special. Also, I noticed that food prices were more than a third cheaper than in Switzerland.

Another great Euro trip in the can. :bow:

Last edited:
Back