Anyone been to La Grave?

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in Europe and Asia, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

re: Anyone been to La Grave?

Postby ChrisC » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:23 am

Did La Grave.

Most places do not meet expectations. They are over-hyped.

La Grave is truly unique. It is what Chamonix should be, but too popular.

Loved it.

I'll do a trip report.
ChrisC

Re: re: Anyone been to La Grave?

Postby Patrick » Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:34 am

ChrisC wrote:Did La Grave.

Most places do not meet expectations. They are over-hyped.

La Grave is truly unique. It is what Chamonix should be, but too popular.

Loved it.

I'll do a trip report.

Looking forward to your report. :D

I know someone that went a few weeks ago, she had fun and is still alive to talk about it (long story). :roll:
Patrick

re: Anyone been to La Grave?

Postby smirkey » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:46 pm

Yes I have skiied LaGrave. , I skiied there with my girlfriend in 2004. We are 45 YO and above average skiiers. we showed up in late march and first few days in april. we flew into Nice and enjoyed a few days there, drove rental car to La Grave, was too scared to ski it the first two days, LaMejie glacier is an incredible setting. We skiied the first two days at La Deux Alps, 30 min drive, first to get used to skiing in Europe. then we hired a guide to ski La Grave. it was beautiful sunny and yes you can ski between the 4-5 lift towers and download if the snow is bad at the mountain bottom . He showed us the ropes. too bad the next day we went without a guide and the weather went cloudy and misty and we got lost with the 2 rider friends we made. you should maybe required to have rope, avi gear. We missed so much because you would have to be there awhile to learn the routes . The telephiques (cable car) is the most unique. it only slows down , doesn't stop, you have to dive in as they are moving . Not bad it the lift house but you can also climb the towers and dive in a cabin about 25 feet off the ground, fun. we are really happy to have skiied there, the best part is that we attended during "Derby" ;an old traditional LaGrave/LaMeije ski race from mountain top to bottom , pick your own route; fastest wins ,period. wow. and the apres parties there were wild!! also You can skate ski across the top of the mountain to La Deuz Alp in about 15 minutes. it is quite easy. same ticket works at both mountains. you can ski both from one base setting. We also skiied Alp d' ez one day too they are close. if i live long enough, we will go back and stay maybe a month, but all in all, you cant beat Utah or Colorado IMHO. ern
smirkey

Previous

Return to Europe & Asia