Isola, FR: 02/04/18

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
A few years back while reading the German-language Alpinforum -- where I steal all my ideas for off-the-beaten-path ski areas in the Alps -- I noticed a number of enticing trip reports from France’s Maritime Alps region, just north of Nice. Like most of us on this side of the Atlantic, I don’t instinctively connect the Côte d'Azur/Riviera with skiing, but those reports made me realise that the region had more than enough for a week-long road trip, with views of the Mediterranean on clear days as a value-added bonus. I've been looking forward to this not only as a skier but also because more than three decades ago as an undergrad I spent a half year in Nice and hadn’t been back since.

Here's the route in the extreme southeastern corner of France:
Alpes_Maritimes_Itinerary_Large.png

And a close-up of the itinerary with Nice Airport as the gateway and my five stops:
Zoom In Maritimes Map.png

After a quick change of planes in Zurich, I arrived in Nice at 10 am. Just walking through the airport, which is directly on the Mediterranean and decorated with plants from the region, was an odd feeling -- kinda like arriving in southern Florida for a ski trip. I got my car and headed north on Autoroute 8, the Route de Grenoble:
Autoroute Nice.JPG

Within 15 minutes, it becomes a narrow two-lane road that zigzags through canyons and small villages:
a004.JPG

a005a.JPG

a006.JPG

a009.JPG

I arrived at Isola at 12:30 for lunch with Cécile and Christian.
a011.JPG

Christian and I then got cracking with a 2.5-hour ski tour up through the trees, which was a great way to head off any thoughts of impending jet lag:
a017.JPG

a016.JPG

That night, I had a fantastic dinner where you take a groomer up the mountain to an atmospheric chalet and hang out beside a roaring fire, drink lots of wine, and eat fantastic food:
004.JPG

008.JPG

The next morning, I was on the snow by 9 am. Isola is the closest destination ski area to Nice, directly on the Italian border about 32 miles as the crow flies from the ocean. It's officially known as Isola 2000, referring to the ski village's elevation in meters (the actual village of Isola is much further down).
Isola Trail Map.png

On weekends and school holidays, Isola is hugely popular with people from the Côte d'Azur and offers all sorts of activities for families, including those who don't ski or snowboard. Like many French purpose-built resorts from the 1960s and 70s, there are a number of ugly concrete buildings at the base (similar to Snowbird in Utah) that they would certainly build differently today, but the dramatic Alpine scenery, spectacular views down to the ocean, and impressive snow preservation (absolutely no rain this high up during winter) make up for it.
020.JPG

I started on the far looker's left and made my way over to Isola's premier terrain sector, Saint Sauveur, with a great combination of wide-open terrain and substantial tree skiing:
a012.JPG

016.JPG

028.JPG

031.JPG

034.JPG

035.JPG

Here's the view from the top; the Mediterranean is just below the clouds in the far left:
022.JPG

Roubion, a ski area I'll visit the following day, is on the near right:
023.JPG

Along the Italian border are a number of military fortifications from WWII, including barbed wire and other detritus:
037.JPG

038.JPG

039.JPG

A late afternoon beer at the Solarium hut. The owner is a French gentleman who lived a couple decades in Canada and became a citizen there too, as the flags demonstrate:
019.JPG

044.JPG

Deep thoughts:
043.JPG

They fine you for not taking a photo here:
Isola - I Love Nice.JPG

Last edited:
I had a chance to ski Isola in late March in the late 1990s. It was my wife's first trip to Europe and we were on a 7 day Wine and Gastronomy tour based in Cannes. I brought glove and shell pants and had a rental car, but did not want to leave my wife in Cannes for what looked to be a long day while I went skiing. I was especially sorry one morning when we went to the Picasso museum in Antibes and saw snow had fallen to 2,000 or 3,000 foot elevation above the Mediterranean.

jamesdeluxe":e5luc8r3 said:
Absolutely no rain this high up during winter
it is highly counterintuitive but virtually all high rain/snow line storms come from the Atlantic and hit the Alps from the northwest according to Fraser. Consequently areas like Isola far from the Atlantic storm tracks and places in the southeast Alps like the Dolomites and St. Moritz rarely see rain. Which is the reason we were in the Dolomites when one of those storms hit the Alps Jan. 20-21 with rain/snow line at 6,500 feet. The next storm Jan. 26 came from the Mediterranean, had a low rain/snow line of 3,000 feet, hit the areas James is skiing now and also produced that big powder day for us in Cervinia.

EMSC":2qxhdood said:
Double applause for the uphill on your arrival day.
Lucky for me, he broke trail. Funny thing is, I'm convinced that the skinning was the reason I had zero jet lag and stayed awake until 10:30 pm that evening.

Back