Auron, FR: 02/05/18

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
After 1.5 days at Isola's high-octane weekend ambiance, I headed 40 minutes directly west through the Tinée Valley to Auron, a more low-key traditional French ski town. Entering the village, I still laughed seeing signs in the middle of winter directing you to nearby Nice -- it seemed so incongruous:
007.JPG

008.JPG

In yet another instance of "the trail map doesn't tell the whole story," Auron has 83 miles/135 kms of marked trails, 2,800 vertical feet, a lot of off-piste and legit black terrain, along with a north/northwest orientation that allows skiing into May -- shocking given how far south it is. While the surrounding landscape isn't as dramatic as Isola (it felt more LCC-ish), locals argue that it offers a better overall skiing package. Open as a ski area since 1937, Auron celebrated its 80th anniversary last year.
Auron Trail Map.jpg

I checked into my lodging for the next two days, the cute Hotel Écureuil (Squirrel) with a monstrous but affectionate house pooch:
037.JPG

002 (Copy).JPG

For the previous week, I'd been keeping my eye on a storm that had been forecast to drop ten inches the day I arrived and it came in just as advertised with a solid foot over most of the mountain and upwards of 16 near the top. Of course, I would've liked to experience Auron under sunny skies but don't argue with a powder day, especially one with bone-dry powder and this close to the Mediterranean. At the top, sightlines were tough but marketing director Pascal kept us moving toward lines near trees.

Me:
002.JPG

Pascal:
009.JPG

017.JPG

019.JPG

020.JPG

021.JPG

023.JPG

024.JPG

028.JPG

We stopped for lunch at one. After a couple days of delicious but filling standard French winter fare (lots of cheese), I tried eating sensibly with a salmon salad.
011.JPG

As the day went on, we noticed that the storm was coming in upside-down. As mentioned, the accumulation until lunch was nice and dry, but was turning heavier by mid-afternoon, noticeable mainly when we ran into moguls skiing back to the lifts. Still, I was getting lots of nice knee-deep turns.
033.JPG

By 3 pm, our legs were shot and we headed down to the village, but not before getting a couple de rigueur photo ops at the summit -- a shame that you can't see the gorgeous backdrop behind this sign:
030.JPG

They also have this frame with a permanent camera where you take the photo, type in your e-mail address, and it's sent immediately (good for the ski area too as they can now send you resort information).
AURON-PM_BLAINON-20180205-102948-E016246617764FC1 (Copy).jpg

But the day wasn't over. That evening, we went out for some nighttime slednecking with a bunch of locals, 45 minutes up the mountain. I hadn't ridden a snowmobile in decades but it all came back. Going up 2,000 verts with some steep sections was challenging.
022.JPG

026.JPG

We stopped at the mid-mountain Grizzly restaurant for a fantastic meal:
009.JPG

019.JPG

015.JPG

016.JPG

Last edited:
I think the moral of this trip is: having a local guide ups the activities and fun by quite a bit!

I can't imagine trying to figure out the uphilling, slednecking, etc... on a standard trip somewhere new combined with days of skiing. It would be too much to understand, find out about,decide on, etc...

In Nice it was probably 70F the whole time too. Or you could always move to Monaco to avoid the French taxes :-D .

jamesdeluxe":1r8wwnk5 said:
allows skiing into May -- shocking given how far south it is.
Not really. Isola/Auron's latitude of 44.2N is about the same as Mt. Bachelor or Mad River Glen, and they are slightly farther north than Niseko, Sun Valley and Jackson Hole. Isola's lift served elevation range is also very similar to Mt. Bachelor's. Auron is a bit lower.

We in SoCal are used to having the beaches and the mountain less than two hours apart. Of course it would be nice if it actually snowed in our mountains more. :twisted:

Tony Crocker":1t2fvx15 said:
We in SoCal are used to having the beaches and the mountain less than two hours apart. Of course it would be nice if it actually snowed in our mountains more.
Yes, that ^^ seems to be the issue. I would love to ski Waterman and Baldy but until there's a serious reset on the SoCal winter weather trend, the Maritime Alps are a stronger bet for a beach/ski area combo that offers the possibility of natural snow. My upcoming TRs will be further proof of that.
:bow:

Back