Axalp, CH: 03/12/18

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in Europe and Asia, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Axalp, CH: 03/12/18

Postby jamesdeluxe » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:05 am

After picking up my wife at Zurich Airport early Monday morning, we drove 90 minutes south to our headquarters for the next five days, the lakeside village of Brienz (pronounced BREENTZ), where the mountains come right down to the water. Besides its beauty and reasonable lodging prices, you can reach two ski areas (Hasliberg and Axalp) in 15 minutes and the Jungfrau ski areas in 40, so it made sense logistically too. Following two cloudy days, it was nice to see the sun poke through occasionally:

My wife was wiped out from the flight so she decided to relax at the hotel while I wanted to do a bit of skiing so about 3,000 vertical feet above the lake, just below the rock outcropping at the top, is the local ski area Axalp:

A comparatively small area with a fixed chair and a t-bar covering its 1,800 vertical feet:

No tremendously challenging terrain, but pleasant cruising and scenics. The only other skiers I ran into were high-school kids who take the bus up from the village:

Views of bright green Lake Brienz down below:

After 2.5 hours, I headed back down to meet my wife for drinks and the sun had finally come out:

A clearer view of where I'd skied a few minutes earlier:
jamesdeluxe

Re: Axalp, CH: 03/12/18

Postby kingslug » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:42 am

Even the little areas make some of ours..seem, smaller.
kingslug

Return to Europe & Asia