Eastern Alps Recommendations?

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in Europe and Asia, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: Eastern Alps Recommendations?

Postby jamesdeluxe » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 am

FYI: given the hideously low-tide conditions in the Pyrenees, I killed my planned trip there during the first week of February and re-routed to the Eastern Alps/flying into Salzburg. Of course, given the comparatively low-altitude, there's the chance that surface conditions may deteriorate somewhat between now and arrival; however, this is a once-in-a-generation amount of base and I'm willing to take the chance to visit a handful of goofy, off-the-beaten-path ski areas I've had on my to-do list for a number of years.
jamesdeluxe

Postby Tony Crocker » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:05 pm

As I advised James offline, we were in that region two years ago and had consistent valley temperature inversions in Brixen and Saalbach. The same conditions apply with weak midwinter sun and snow covered ground as in places like Jackson.

The main risk would be if it rained (which it did the week after we were there in 2017), and there are higher altitude alternatives within easy drive distance in that case.

Meanwhile we leave tomorrow, land Thursday in Geneva but will drive 4 hours to eastern Switzerland where the most snow is. There is too much snow for off piste stability in a lot of places so we will start with 4 nights in St. Moritz, where the recent storm was a hopefully more manageable 16 inches. On Friday we drive through Lenzerheide (where James skied in December 2017) on the way so that will be our first ski day.

Next week our objectives would be Engelberg and Andermatt but we have made no reservations yet. These places have had a massive mount of snow but the current avalanche rating is extreme so needs some time to settle down. A further constraint is that off piste groups are only offered Sundays at Andermatt and Thursdays-Sundays at Engelberg.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby ChrisC » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:36 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:FYI: given the hideously low-tide conditions in the Pyrenees, I killed my planned trip there during the first week of February and re-routed to the Eastern Alps/flying into Salzburg. Of course, given the comparatively low-altitude, there's the chance that surface conditions may deteriorate somewhat between now and arrival; however, this is a once-in-a-generation amount of base and I'm willing to take the chance to visit a handful of goofy, off-the-beaten-path ski areas I've had on my to-do list for a number of years.

Likely a good call.

I read the snow reports and can barely recognize half the Austrian places - but you know most of them have to be better than Monarch, ABasin, Loveland, Stevens, Targhee, Solitude, Brighton, etc. Our little areas that rock in the USA.

aus1.JPG
Austrian Resorts Highest Top Totals 1/15/19

aus2.JPG
Austrian Resorts Highest Base Totals 1/15/19
ChrisC

Postby ChrisC » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:46 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:Next week our objectives would be Engelberg and Andermatt but we have made no reservations yet. These places have had a massive mount of snow but the current avalanche rating is extreme so needs some time to settle down. A further constraint is that off piste groups are only offered Sundays at Andermatt and Thursdays-Sundays at Engelberg.

Yep. Too much of a good thing.

This site is really good for forecasts and advice in the Alps.
https://wepowder.com/en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"

However, their long range forecast for Andermatt and Engelberg... :-k ....when you are hoping for a clear weekend. I know this could be highly inaccurate.

engel1.JPG
Engelberg 14 day

andermatt1.JPG
Andermatt 14 day
Last edited by ChrisC on Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisC

Postby Tony Crocker » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:02 pm

Fraser warned of the storm possibility middle of next week yesterday, backed off today. Models are contradictory now, so need to wait until it gets closer to decide what to do.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby jamesdeluxe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:16 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:Next week our objectives would be Engelberg and Andermatt but we have made no reservations yet. These places have had a massive mount of snow but the current avalanche rating is extreme so needs some time to settle down.

If Engelberg and Andermatt have high avalanche ratings or are looking at white-out conditions, I can recommend nearby ski areas in the lower elevation Schwyz region like Mythen, which was very doable on a storm day:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12088

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12090
jamesdeluxe

Previous

Return to Europe & Asia