Japan 2019/2020

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in Europe and Asia, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

Re: Japan 2019/2020

Postby jamesdeluxe » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:02 pm

While we were going back and forth about the Alps, I was wondering this morning what had happened to you and the trip to Japan.

Sbooker wrote:From this very brief sample of skiing in Japan I don’t think it will be my choice for the planned winter of skiing. The powder is lovely but I can’t help but feel it’s a bit one dimensional.
Interesting summary, I'd like to know if other people who've been there feel the same way. Nice pic of your kids in front of the Hokkaido sign!
jamesdeluxe

Postby Sbooker » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:12 pm

jamesdeluxe wrote:While we were going back and forth about the Alps, I was wondering this morning what had happened to you and the trip to Japan.

Sbooker wrote:From this very brief sample of skiing in Japan I don’t think it will be my choice for the planned winter of skiing. The powder is lovely but I can’t help but feel it’s a bit one dimensional.
Interesting summary, I'd like to know if other people who've been there feel the same way. Nice pic of your kids in front of the Hokkaido sign!

I guess it sounds a little strange as powder skiing is the holy grail. I have learnt that because of the low elevation rain events are not uncommon mid winter. Secondly if you have a crew member like my wife that has a preference for cruising long groomers taking in great scenery there is not a lot of that from what I understand. Thirdly inbounds steep terrain isn't easy to find. Whilst I'm no expert skier I do enjoy (as do both my children) pushing myself to tackle steepish slopes.
I'm sure I'm generalizing too much but I think you get my thoughts.
Sbooker

Postby Tony Crocker » Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:14 pm

You have had rain? That's rare midwinter in Hokkaido though a real threat in shoulder seasons.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Sbooker » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:28 pm

Tony Crocker wrote:You have had rain? That's rare midwinter in Hokkaido though a real threat in shoulder seasons.

Yes. It rained on the evening between our first and second day skiing. Talking with some local Aussies who have property in Niseko 'pre-frontal' rain is quite common to happen quite a few times per season even in mid January.
Sbooker

Postby Sbooker » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:18 pm

The unusual conditions have continued for Niseko and Hokkaido in general. It has been warmer normal with less precipitation. Some of the precipitation has been the wet clear stuff.
According to 20 year veterans who own property in the area this year has so far been the worst. There are comparisons to Perisher in Australia being bandied about. Think lots of people and worn runs with dirt showing through.
https://www.ski.com.au/xf/threads/nisek ... 268/page-8
Read from post 394 onward.
Not pretty. I suppose it's early enough for there to be a spectacular turn around. For those that are visiting I hope that is the case.
Sbooker

Postby Tony Crocker » Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:57 pm

The bad snow year in Japan has attracted Jim Steenburgh's attention:
https://wasatchweatherweenies.blogspot. ... eason.html
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Postby Sbooker » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:51 pm

Such a pity for the local businesses that rely on snow season. I believe there have been major cancellations - particularly on Honshu.
This is obviously a very rare occurrence.
It highlights my thoughts that a Japanese ski holiday is pretty one dimensional when it comes to the actual on mountain experience. In Europe and North America it is possible to seek out more advanced terrain and relatively superior scenery if you're unlucky enough to get no fresh snow. I was going to make a comment regarding the unlikeliness of getting wet precipitation in the two continents previously mentioned (because of generally higher elevation) but the situation in France and British Columbia in the last few days has reminded me that rain is possible everywhere at any time of the season.
I'll head back to Japan in the hope of getting a better taste of their famed powder but for my family Europe, Canada and the USA offer a better experience whilst on the hill.
Sbooker

Previous

Return to Europe & Asia