Cortina, Italy 1/7-12/2001

Sean Mackey

Cortina, Italy <BR> <BR>Getting There <BR>============= <BR> <BR>Pretty much a nightmare. The day we left the NYC metro area <BR>was experiencing snow. Only and inch or two but enough to <BR>through this area into a tailspin. Our 5:30 JFK flight <BR>didn't leave until close to 9pm. This made us miss our <BR>Milan to Venice flight. After waiting for that flight, it <BR>was delayed about an hour 10 minutes prior to boarding. <BR>Then our transfer from Venice Airport to Cortina was not <BR>there. We finally called him in Cortina, where he had to <BR>drive down to get us. Central Holidays didn't notify him <BR>that our flight plans had changed. I guess they didn't have <BR>enough time since the plans changed only one month before <BR>departure. Overall, roughly 28 hours of travel time (from <BR>leaving home to arriving at the hotel). <BR> <BR>Leaving Venice airport it was raining. No problem, right? <BR>It will turn to snow by the time we get to Cortina. Nope. <BR>Rain in Cortina. Well, at Whistler/Blackcomb it rained in <BR>the village and snowed in the mountains. Perhaps that is <BR>happening here. Time to rest. <BR> <BR>Our ski group was two couples. Our abilities ranged from <BR>intermediate (PA and VT trails) to advanced. By advanced I <BR>mean myself. I feel comfortable on most groomed or bumped <BR>trails and I have been exploring the woods for the past <BR>couple of years. <BR> <BR> <BR>Sunday - Faloria/Pomedes <BR>====== <BR> <BR>At breakfast, the weather was still rain in the village, but <BR>the report states that it is snow in the mountains. After <BR>breakfast we went to the cable car to Faloria. It's a about <BR>three hundred yards down the road. At the top of this cable <BR>car we encounter visibility of about 100 feet, but the <BR>precip has changed to snow. We're just about at tree line, <BR>but the skiing is above here. The cable car ride just gets <BR>you above the cliffs between Faloria and the village. There <BR>was new, wet snow, but tough visibility. We skied down to <BR>the chair lifts and up into the fog we went. If you've ever <BR>been above treeline in dense fog, you know it's not fun. We <BR>actually managed two runs and started up for another one <BR>when we noticed the signs mentioning that the lifts were <BR>closing at noon. We had to get to the top to get to the <BR>cable car so away we went. From the top we had to follow a <BR>barricaid/fence down to a poma, and follow that to the top <BR>of the cable car. (My SU had never skied outside of VT and <BR>PA before, so I didn't tell her why there would be a fence <BR>on the mountain. She found out on tuesday and was happy I <BR>didn't tell her.) <BR> <BR>Back in town, someone at the hotel mentioned that Tofana was <BR>not above tree line, but was getting snow. We marched to <BR>the bus stop and were off to Tofana. Since the cable car at <BR>Tofana was shutdown, so we actually skied Pomedes. It <BR>took four chairlifts to get there and only the last one had <BR>snow. We could actually see the mountains over here and had <BR>a great trail down between two huge rocks. Here we skied <BR>several different trails, all with about a foot of new, wet <BR>snow. The sides of the trails were still untouched, so <BR>there was plenty of fun to be had. This was a nice chance <BR>to get used to skiing new fallen snow. Our PA and VT <BR>intermediates found some of the Italian intermediate trails <BR>challenging, but the new snow made them fun. If they had <BR>been good 'ol eastern packed powder, they wouldn't have gone <BR>near them. We called it a day around three as we didn't <BR>want to over do it on the first day and we were all soaked. <BR>It wasn't until our trip down that we realized that we had <BR>skipped lunch. We were all too interested in finding out <BR>what Cortina was all about. <BR> <BR> <BR>Monday - Col Gallena/Cinque Torre <BR>====== <BR> <BR>The idea today was to catch a bus to Paso Falzrego (sp?), <BR>ride the cable car to the top and ski down and spend the day <BR>skiing Alta Badia, and catch a bus back to Cortina at the <BR>end of the day. What we didn't know as that the cable car <BR>was closed due to avalanche danger. Sundays rain was a <BR>meter and a half of snow at the summit. From Pasa Fazrego <BR>we traversed/broke trail to col Gahdena. Only the lower <BR>lift was working, again due to avalanche danger. BUT, there <BR>was over a foot of snow at this lift. We skied about a half <BR>dozen runs at this little lift. The snow was amazing. I <BR>finally got to feel that float of skiing new powder. I <BR>think I spent one whole run just hoping up and down on my <BR>skis while taking the slope straight (it was gentle and <BR>fairly short). I found it amazing to just have them just <BR>rebound. It really enhanced the floating feeling. The <BR>others in the group prefered the groomed slope, which was <BR>fine with me. My only competition for the powder was the <BR>snow cat grooming the trail. After here, we took the trail <BR>to Cinque Torre. <BR> <BR>Cinque Torre - a detachable high speed quad, to a single <BR>chair, to a rope tow. Today, the singe chair and rope tow <BR>were closed due to avalanche danger. Plus, the top of the <BR>quad was just above tree line. Some wind and fog made the <BR>top of the quad tricky but just below there it was pure <BR>heaven. The groomed trails were such that carving turns on <BR>skis dug trenches. Anything off of the trails was knee to <BR>thigh deep. At every oportunity I would have my friends ski <BR>around the corner to and check for ledges or cliffs. If <BR>there weren't any, I'd cut the corner by skiing through the <BR>trees. After two runs I knew where to cut the corners and <BR>it was amazing. The trees were much more widely spaced than <BR>VT and the new snow allowed some confidence that was unknown <BR>before. Each corner had several lines to ski and there was <BR>no competition. What few people there, stayed on the <BR>slopes. We feasted on great groomed slopes and great powder <BR>reserves with hardly ever loosing eye contact with each <BR>other (or FRS radio contact). The lines, never more that <BR>one or two chairs, and mostly just walk on the lift. We <BR>skied until we could barely walk to the bus stop. <BR> <BR>Tuesday - Cinque Torre/Faloria <BR>======= <BR> <BR>The first sunny day. The view from the room was amazing, we <BR>could only imagine what the view in the mountains would be <BR>like. My SU opted to rest for the morning and since the <BR>other couple missed Cinque Torre due to equipment problems <BR>I headed back there to ski the morning with them. The view <BR>was amazing. Cinque Torre translates to Five Towers. These <BR>towers sit to clibers left of the top of the quad. Monday <BR>they were invisible to us, today, they loomed over us. Also <BR>we could see why the single chair was closed. Mt. xxxxxxx <BR>was just to the side of it. The chair was open today, and <BR>you could see the avalanche debree from the clearing <BR>operations. It ran down the hillside and under the chair. <BR>The lift and trail down the backside of xxxxxx was still not <BR>dug out. The single servered one trail and a lot of off <BR>piste items. Not knowing the area I didn't stray far from <BR>the trail/lift. It was at this area that I noticed a lot of <BR>AT gear. Up until now, I have only seen on person on AT <BR>gear - and that was while skiing paradise at MRG. The first <BR>ride up the quad, we could see a guy already at the top of <BR>the single, and it had yet to open. They were long gone by <BR>the time the single opened. This was by far the busiest day <BR>at Cinque Torre that we had and still, there was no one <BR>skiing off of the trail. All morning long I kept cutting <BR>the corners and never had to cross my tracks in two days. <BR> <BR>That afternoon I met my wife and we skied Faloria. This <BR>was the area that was shutdown on us on sunday when the <BR>visibility was horrible. The first thing that amazed her <BR>was the ride up the cable car. The cliffs were hidden by <BR>clouds so you couldn't see how steeply the cable car rose. <BR>We then skied down to the same lifts that we skie on Sunday <BR>but she didn't recognize them. At the top, we went and <BR>looked through the fence that we followed on sunday in the <BR>fog and she was happy that I didn't tell here what was there. <BR>The other side of the fence was essentially a cliff that <BR>fell hundreds of feet. While the fence was a great guide <BR>for us in the fog, she was happy not to know what was on the <BR>other side. The skiing that day afternoon was again, great. <BR>We skied the three main trails at Faloria and were greated <BR>to great views of some people skiing the chutes leading down <BR>to the trails. The snow on the trails was excellent packed <BR>powder. Always good enough to hold and edge but never icy. <BR> <BR> <BR>Wednesday - Kronplatz <BR>========= <BR> <BR>A member of our group went on this same trip last year and <BR>highly recommended the Kronplatz side trip. Kronplatz is a <BR>giant hill, near the Austrian border that is accessible from <BR>three sides, three different towns. This was side trip <BR>offered by our booking agent Central Holidays and it cost <BR>extra. It is mainly an intermediates mountain but it is <BR>long. The single expert trail runs 5.8 KM and the trial <BR>back to where we were parked was some 6KM. There were some <BR>interesting looking off piste areas, but I didn't get to <BR>sample them. <BR> <BR> <BR>Thursday - Morning break/Tofana <BR>======== <BR> <BR>This was suppose to be a down day by taking a trip to Venice <BR>but the trip was cancelled due to flooding. We spent the <BR>morning walking around the village admiring town and looking <BR>for souvenirs. After lunch, I decided to try and get <BR>a few run on Tofana. It takes three cable cars to get to <BR>the top of this mountain, but skiing is serviced only from <BR>cable cars one and two. There is a restaurant perched at <BR>the top of the mountain, but that cable car never opened <BR>while we were there. Skiing starts off in the RA Valles, an <BR>above tree line area with three chairs. It has about three <BR>groomed runs, and then the rest is ski where you like. Since <BR>I was on my own and not familiar with the area I stayed on <BR>the trails (and the fact that there were lots of signs <BR>about not skiing off trails due to avalanche danger). There <BR>are two trails from the RA Valles and always the option to <BR>download on the cable car. I chose the expert trail and <BR>start skiing. I didn't think the slope was steeper than <BR>what I had skied in the past, but more unnerving was the <BR>idea that if I fell, I could slide for a long time on this <BR>groomed slope. Being mostly a VT skier, I'm used to having <BR>some trees around me, and slopes that turned well before a <BR>couple of hundred yards went by. <BR> <BR> <BR>Friday - Cinque Torre/Faloria <BR>====== <BR> <BR>Friday we decided to wrap the trip up by skiing our favorite <BR>spot, Cinque Torre, ride the 12:05 bus back to town, have <BR>lunch at the top of the Faloria Cable Car and then ski <BR>Faloria in the afternoon. Again, more amazing times with <BR>still plenty of first tracks at Cinque Torre, but never a <BR>lift line. Faloria had most of the visible/close to lift <BR>off-piste stuff chopped to chowder, but then on our last run <BR>we discovered a trail down to Rio Gere that still had plenty <BR>of off-piste tree skiing. Doh!!. <BR> <BR> <BR>Notes/Observations <BR>================== <BR> <BR> - Their idea of cold: most of the week we were told by the <BR> people in town that it was going to be cold. Well, they <BR> aren't used to VT cold. Cold to them was about 25F. <BR> That or the weathermen over there are worse than ours. <BR> ;-) By Wednesday, we learned to leave most of our needed <BR> VT layers in the hotel. <BR> <BR> - No bumps/moguls: not a one. No bump trails, no bump <BR> areas not a single bump line. <BR> <BR> - Why don't they ski off piste? It seems that the general <BR> public tends to stay on the trail. At Cinque Torre and <BR> Faloria people skied the areas that were near the lifts <BR> and open, but not a sole went near the trees. And I'm <BR> talking about the near lift tree shots. Not the far <BR> away, backcountry only type of stuff.

Sounds like you don't travel very often. <BR> <BR>The more you travel, the more you realize that sometimes things don't go exactly as planned. That's part of the adventure. We have been to Cortina a number of times and have had a wonderful stay. The skiing is awesome, nearly constant sunshine. The food is great and the town is beautiful. We have been to a few different ski resorts in Italy and Cortina is by far our favorite. One of the best aspects is the fact that you are not pinned down to one ski area. If you take the time to venture off the beaten path you will discover that you can ski and ski and ski from area to area. It's a real adventure.

Back