Chamonix - Brevent 12/31/04

ChrisC

Most people mention Chamonix for the Les Grands Montets and the Vallee Blanche. However, I really enjoyed Brevent and Flegere. Detractors of Brevent/Flegere cite issues like exposure, crowds, access, etc. I found none of that was true. Just plan properly (like never use the Fleger cable car) and all is well.

I found Brevent/Flegere to be very similar to the Back Bowls of Vail, but with better scenery Between Brevent/Flegere there are about 6 bowls/faces with due south exposure -- just like Vail (Sun Down to Outer Mongolia). There is about one piste groomed through each of these bowls. The beginner terrain is at the bottom. So while people say the Back Bowls make Vail -- south facing and all. While at Chamonix these resorts are just icing on the cake.

New Years Eve Day, we had every intention on skiing both Brevent and Flegere. However, the day was so beautiful, the temps just right, the food so good -- we just skied Brevent and did a really nice lunch at the top of the Brevent cable car overlooking Mt Blanc.

Snow conditions. Since it was late December, the temps and sun exposure do not destroy the snow. There was definite dry 2day old powder to be found off piste above 1500m. However, I am sure once Feb arrives, spring conditions rule. Also, Brevent and Flegere had the deepest snow bases while at Chamonix over Christmas (130cm/50+in)

The Charles Bozon run off the cable car was quite nice - open, lots of ledges. Also from the cable car, there were amazing off piste opportunites by hiking along the ridge and dropping into the Cornu side. The Cornu chairlift had great chutes under the lift, as well as really nice bowls from skiers right with a one minute hike through a rock outcropping. Finally the Charlanon bowl had reallu nice off-piste routes as well.

Overall, I really enjoyed Brevent and would recommend it.

Attachments

• Brevent Cornu Chutes.jpg
    Brevent Cornu Chutes.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 5,908
  • Brevent Chamonix town.jpg
    Brevent Chamonix town.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 5,899
  • Brevent Cable Car Mt Blanc.jpg
    Brevent Cable Car Mt Blanc.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 5,911
  • Brevent Cable Car.jpg
    Brevent Cable Car.jpg