Megeve - 1/02/05

ChrisC

I had never heard of Megeve until the day I got there. It was recommended by a friend as a place to go for the non skiers in a group and as a good snowy day place (trees, fewer white-outs). It is suppose to compete with Courchevel as being the high-end French resort -- much like Cortina and Courmayeaur are the Italian high-end places.

The place is HUGE! The lifts were the most advanced I have ever witnessed. Every lift was a gondola, tram or high-speed chair. Lift ticket prices were of course Eurpean reasonable. 30 Euros = 40 US Dollars.

See the piste map/trail map. Big place.

We skied Rochebrune, Cote 2000, Mont d'Arbois, Mont Jeux.

Overall, it is an easier place. Nothing too hard. Everything is pure cruising. But on a day when Chamonix would have been invisible -- it was a great alternative.

I would recommend Megeve over Les Houches for stromy days in Chamonix. It is 20x larger.

Attachments

• Megeve 1.jpg
    Megeve 1.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 8,006
  • Megeve 2.jpg
    Megeve 2.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 8,007
  • Megeve 3.jpg
    Megeve 3.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 8,010
  • Megeve 4.jpg
    Megeve 4.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 8,014
  • Megeve 5.jpg
    Megeve 5.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 8,010
  • Megeve 6.jpg
    Megeve 6.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 8,007
  • Megeve 7.jpg
    Megeve 7.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 7,998
ChrisC":1opvpjgw said:
It is suppose to compete with Courchevel as being the high-end French resort.

I have never been there, but it's definately as JET SET ski resort as Courchevel.

The town seemed very nice -- almost too nice. I think some people just come to stroll around in their winter clothes.

However, the skiing was quite good -- especially on a stormy day when most of Chamonix would get shut down for wind or avalanche. It was quite a large complex and maybe 30-45 min away.

Back