Skiing in Iran

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in Europe and Asia, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

re: Patrick

Postby Tina » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:34 pm

Hi Patrick,
Last edited by Tina on Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tina

Re: re: Patrick

Postby Patrick » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:42 pm

Thank you Tina for the useful information (especially Iceland Air). I think I read something like that a few years ago, but forgot. :P
Patrick

re: Skiing in Iran

Postby q » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:28 am

Snowboarding in Iran is one of a large collection of interesting articles on a UK based website SnowSphere
Q
q

Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - Avatar: Primer Bowl, Loveland, CO

Re: re: Skiing in Iran

Postby SomeWhenElse » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:35 pm

Tina wrote:I'm not sure I made my point clear enough, in Iran, the swings of temperature in the second half of the season are far more dramatic than any other places I have skied, or know of anyone who has skied.

As might not be possible to tell from the picture that ridge is not a long walk from where the lift ends. We skied both sides of it and the side that you see in the picture is the side that got the least sun, meaning that the other side of the ridge is even worse (the backside was steep and because of the sun exposure it slid earlier). So, althoug it makes a lot of sense to determine the direction that the mountain side is facing, in Iran the time in the season (and swings of temperature) makes more sense to pay attention to.

I have skied NZ in the second half of their season (and talked to a lot of people who ski there regularly). I think that if you are comparing the two countires in skiing in the second half of the season you are far better off choosing NZ. As I’m sure you know if you have skied in many different regions, although there of course are many similarities in what determines snow conditions, there are also dissimilarities in weather patterns. Knowing the regional weather pattern is very helpful as a compliment to your normal analysis (time of year, face direction etc). Without that complimentary information your analysis might even be wrong. I think chances of good snow in Iran in March are very small, but you are of course free to think what you want.

Take care,
Tina

Ps. I must say that you are pretty brave to with such confidence make judgements about weather conditions in placey you have never been to. I hope that attitude has not - and more importantly will not - cause you dangers. Be safe out there.

Reer!!! He was just sayin!
SomeWhenElse

Postby Tina » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:27 am

What can I say, I took it differently. I explained the snow/weather conditions according to my experience in Iran, and he started telling me differently. I took it like he didn't believe what I said. So I just went on to explain what I feel about judging conditions and safety. I was just saying. Didn't mean to offend anyone. But hey, I hope I was wrong and you right!
Tina

Postby Tony Crocker » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:18 pm

No offense taken at all. Weather is very complex, and the more education we get, the better informed we all will be.
http://bestsnow.net
Ski Records
Season length: 21 months, Nov. 29, 2010 - July 2, 2012
Days in one year: 80 from Nov. 29, 2010 - Nov. 17, 2011
Season vertical: 1,610K in 2016-17
Season powder: 291K in 2011-12
Tony Crocker

Previous

Return to Europe & Asia