Exchange Rate Blues

jamesdeluxe

Administrator
Is anyone else postponing a ski trip to the Alps because of the dogpoop exchange rate?

Today, it's 1 Euro = $1.44239 US :shock:

We've pretty much nixed our plans to go back to Austria this season. And with the loonie now worth more than the greenback :)shock: :shock: :shock:), I'm not even sure we'll make it to Quebec. I remember about four or five years ago, it was $1 US = $1.55 CDN or something. We'd go to the Eastern Townships for four days and come back with more money than before leaving.
:wink:

http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/5y?usdcad=x

One man's blues is another man's joy (or whatever the saying is). :p :wink:

Saw this on the news while I was waiting at the airport last night: $1 CDN = $1.0496 US. The exchange booths in Toronto were buying US dollars at 0.89 cents. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wonder if any Canadian ski areas will accept US dollars at par?

I wonder if Jay Peak is going to amend its at-par policy, now that the $1.06 CDN = $1 US exchange rate means it's actually "hurting" the Canadian clientele.

jamesdeluxe":2fwxtcdr said:
I wonder if Jay Peak is going to amend its at-par policy, now that the $1.06 CDN = $1 US exchange rate means it's actually "hurting" the Canadian clientele.
Also that Tremblant is going to hit $75 CDN this season. :shock: :shock: :shock:

If I were still be living in Montreal I would rarely drive North.

I wanted to do the Chamonix-to-Zermatt Haute Route with some friends. However, that is an open question now.

Oil/airfares have increased and the dollar has fallen. And it's likely the dollar will continue to fall. The last time I went (winter 2006), winter airfares were readily available for $350-450 SF-direct-to-Geneva. And even with the 1 Euro=$1.20, lodging/lift tickets reasonable/discounted to US standards (akin to off-beat Canada). However, this is no longer the case, and probably will not be for a long period to come. If ever.

Back