St. Anton, Austria - March 8-14, 2008

Resort and backcountry skiing and snowboarding in Europe and Asia, including our famous reader-submitted No-Bull Snow Reports.

St. Anton, Austria - March 8-14, 2008

Postby Lftgly » Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:42 pm

The second week of March brought late spring snow conditions to St. Anton, Austria.

Our hotel in St. Anton am Arlberg had great food every night, and great service.

Sunday was sunny, and eventually softened up right to the summits (about
2800 meters); we explored inbounds and off piste around Galzig and Valuga.

Monday we took a bus up the Arlberg Pass to Lech and Zurs, and found a foot plus of untracked powder runs a short traverse off piste, under blue bird skies in the morning. But the upper lifts shutdown after Noon, as a weather front moved in, bringing clouds and high winds.

Tuesday, we hit the north-facing aspects on Rendl, made 2 back country runs in 6"-8" plus of new powder; 1 down Robssfall (a short hike back to the lifts, along a road from closed for the winter), and another down the back of Rendl all the way back into town. Wish we could have done more o.b. skiing, but these 2 runs were great!

Wednesday we got a day of rain below 1800 meters, and the lifts above that elev were shut down due to 50 km winds and blowing snow, whiteout conditions; I quit after 3 runs Wednesday.

Thursday followed with 18" to 20" of powder, just a fantastic day spent doing laps off-piste on the Galzig. The upper lifts were all closed due to avy danger. I wish we had more days like this, but at least we got 1 sick powder day.

Friday, we were again met with rain in the valleys, but the rain-snow line was at lower elev. We were able to ride a gondola up above the rain on Rendl, and spent the morning doing laps in a foot of untracked heavy snow, though I quit early due to the flat light and poor visibility.
Lftgly

re: St. Anton, Austria - March 8-14, 2008

Postby Admin » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:05 pm

Great post, lftgly! Looks like a great trip.

Sorry, but I cleaned up those image tags so your post would fit the page width. Although I do feel somewhat dirty that they're using Greg's bandwidth -- posting the images here would use our bandwidth instead and eliminate that problem.

Admin
Site Admin

Return to Europe & Asia